We have been shortlisted for the National Tutoring Awards 2024! If Eleven Plus Exams has helped you, we would like to ask for your support, by voting for us in the People’s Choice Awards.

How to improve marks on GL paper spelling section

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Annie42

How to improve marks on GL paper spelling section

Post by Annie42 »

Hi there. My DC sits this September, will be GL multiple choice, not a super selective area, we just need a pass! Weakest area is English test and specifically the spelling and punctuation sections where all the example questions give a line of text and divide the line into 4 sections A, B, C and D and you have to say which section the spelling/punctuation mistake is in or pick a 5th option which is for no mistakes.
My DC is very Maths/science/logic oriented. I feel like we can improve the punctuation as that is more or less rules based and he just needs extra practice learning the rules. Spelling however I'm struggling with - he does excellent in school spelling tests where he learns the spellings the night before but that method doesn't work for him over the longer term as he just forgets them a week later. He also doesn't particularly enjoy reading and not sure his style of reading helps with spelling anyway as he just rattles through it at 100mph without pausing to properly take in the individual words - he understands what he's read but doesn't focus on how it's spelt.
I wondered if anybody has found similar and might be able to share any ideas for improving marks in this area for a DC who is very logic focused with it seems a very good short term memory but not as good mid term?
Any advice very gratefully received.
galentina

Re: How to improve marks on GL paper spelling section

Post by galentina »

Hi,
Does you DC spell OK when he writes stories?
He can try to write the sentences (without paying attention to the options' dividers) and then check if his spelling matches the given text.
He can also learn different prefixes, suffixes and root words and see if he can spot these in texts.
Otherwise it's just learning spelling rules and knowing which words are most likely to be misspelled. There are lists of commonly misspelled words recommended for 11+ and for KS2, you can practise recognising the mistakes in such words.
Annie42

Post by Annie42 »

Thanks very much for the reply. He doesn't spell brilliantly in his writing either, it's not terrible but then he probably tends to stick to using easier words he can spell! I think spelling just isn't his strength so will try not to dwell on it and just be thankful he's doing okay with the rest! Will focus on learning some key rules and try improve it a bit without expecting the earth! I definitely like the sound of the misspelt word lists, I feel like that could help so I'll look at that, thanks very much for the suggestion.
firoz365

Post by firoz365 »

Hi,
I am facing same issue. Can you please let me know what did you do and what worked for your DC?
And where can I find this as you mentioned -
There are lists of commonly misspelled words recommended for 11+ and for KS2, you can practise recognising the mistakes in such words.

Thanks in advance
Annie42

Post by Annie42 »

Hi
One of the main things which I think helped was knowing how the test / pass mark worked and for us it was the overall mark that mattered and there wasn't for example a pass mark for each of Maths, English, verbal reasoning etc. separately. So once I figured that out he felt better about it as knew a lower mark in spelling would be compensated by say strong maths. If a pass was needed in each separate area then may have approached a bit differently.

In the end though he actually got pretty good at spotting the spelling mistakes, he didn't necessarily know the right spelling but knew it looked wrong. Somehow it just seemed to click in the week or so before the test and think it must have been down to simply lots of his efforts doing practice tests using the style of papers the school had linked on their website (GL in this case). I also got similar practice books GL style from CGP and Collins.

Grammar as I suspected was easier as it's mainly rules based and again he just practised from the practice tests and books.

Never did manage to get him reading a lot despite him being a naturally good reader, although he would read some non fiction about wildlife, geography etc. but not loads! In the end it seemed to work best we did comprehensions together and took it in turns to read a paragraph each and then talked through the questions. Again just practice tests seemed to be the trick.

Hopefully that helps a bit, we just tried various things and found what worked for him and just plenty of practice!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now