11+ and EID

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

HW Mum

11+ and EID

Post by HW Mum »

Hi all,

I just wondered how other schools in Bucks are dealing with the fact that EID may fall on Thursday, the day of the first test.
Our school are planning on going ahead with the test for all children in school that day but any Muslim children who have the day off to celebrate EID will sit the 1st paper on the same day as all other children will sit the 2nd paper. Then they will sit the 2nd paper a week later. I don't feel very happy about this, surely this may result in it not being a level playing field for all. I have to say that I think it is appalling that county booked the dates for the 11+ without thinking of EID and the problems that this would entail.

What do others think?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear HW Mum

Bucks Policy:

The published 11+ dates are the earliest date that each test can be sat and with some pre-planning they can be sat on a later date. Depending on each school's circumstances, and the final exact date of Eid schools may want to:

1) Postpone all of the children to a later date where a large section of the year group might be affected or

2) Offer the children affected by Eid a later test date.

Children could sit the tests on Friday 3rd or Monday 6th October - this would offer sufficient flexibility as the next test is on the Wednesday 8th and a day should be left in between (Tuesday 7th would not be an option).

It would only become an uneven playing field if all the children who sat the test at a later date were told the questions [doubtful] Or they were told the types that were encountered so they could 'swot' up on those 12 types.

We have a strict policy on this forum NOT to divulge the types that come up in the first test.

Most children from out of county will be sitting their dates at a later date too.

Patricia
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi HW Mum

This is a problem that may not happen. The current predicted date of Eid is 29th September, which would give 48 hours before the earliest test date.

There are also children who sit the test later because of illness.

The question of whether these children have an unfair advantage is one of the perennial debates on the Forum, and I agree with Patricia that there is none.

As Patricia says, we moderate (or should that be obliterate? :)) any posts on the Forum that might divulge information that could give another child an unfair advantage.

Sally-Anne
Rash

Post by Rash »

Eid is on the 1st Oct. children may find it difficult to sit the test on the following day!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now