flickering lights in NV test!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
libs

flickering lights in NV test!

Post by libs »

Son took NV test at Kings this morning - should have been his best test as he's always been stronger at NV getting typically 90%
Son was directly underneath a flickering light - he says flickering continually from the moment he walked in, until the end. He had no choice where he sat and the room was full.
He says he found it hard to concentrate, having to shield his work to see the questions properly. Luckily our son told us of the light whilst we were still in the area so I returned (without him to keep it low key). I spoke to a very helpful member of staff who showed me the room and the light - and yes it certainly flickered, I wouldn't have been able to concentrate and I'm not surprised he had a headache.
Spoke to another member of staff who was involved in the testing. She said they were aware that there had been a problem with the light and the papers of the two children who sat near it had had their papers 'footnoted'. I was told not to worry...
Don't worry!!! My son is passionate about going to Kings, he is very aware that he didn't do as well as he could do and how can the staff do anything to 'adjust' his score. How can they possibly know what he would have got? His V paper seemed to go 'well' but we always rely on a very good NV...
We are going to write to Kings but has anyone else got any advice...
He has been very quiet this afternoon - a real contrast to last week when he was pretty upbeat. He feels fine now headache wise, but it was enough for him to look quite ill at 10.30
We hadn't planned for this, it feels soooo unfair!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If they knew ther was a problem it is strange they could not do something about it. I would put something in writing so it is recorded just in case.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I would definitely put this in writing immediately, recording your son's distress and headache, the fact that he complained of being unable to concentrate and felt he could have done much better. I too am surprised that they simply let the test continue without even checking with the children whether it was bothering them.

I am not sure that there is much more you can do at this stage, but you could try phoning someone in the County Council admissions department to see what they would advise and to ask them what they would have done had this happened in one of their own schools.
libs

Post by libs »

Thankyou for replies - flickering light.
Not sure at what point staff were aware of problem - my son was aware as son as he walked in ... have calmly suggested at this point he should have said something. Think he felt that he just had to put up with it as it was there on entry.
Another child from same school was aware of problem but it did not effect where he was sitting.
Will write and contact county. Thankyou.
Son's headache has gone, mine has been constant since aroundabout 11!
shellie_eeyore

Post by shellie_eeyore »

hi im suprised they didnt change classrooms as they had said im the playground that due to non attenders etc they would need 2 less classrooms that day so you would have thought they would have used the ones that were spare.
day went well for us (so son tells me ) but now going through that awfull what if stage as i personally dont know what would be my second choice if not kings!! in fact even viewing schools in sleaford this week with thought of moving there if kings is a no! what will your options be?
libs

what if...

Post by libs »

son is passionate about kings - not least because he plays waterpolo with them every friday night - and has had the opportunity to play in a couple of matches for the yr7 as they were short which he just loved! The last 36hours have been a nightmare. Didn't anticipate we'd be in this situation - has scored pretty highly throughout tests and although never over confident we never imagined the scenerio we are currently facing - he really feels he wasn't able to give it his best shot because of the light and he is so low...
Have e-mailed a letter to the admissions dep at Kings as well as sent a letter copy. But what can they do now?!
It's a horrid time for everyone really and I know there are others with difficult circumstances. Just hope it works out...
Were you looking at St. Georges? Thursday?
shellie_eeyore

Post by shellie_eeyore »

yes went to see St Georges was really impressed and would even move there if we dont get KIngs . but thats another story we would have to go to appeal to get a place and would be given a school in Grantham which if we dont put a Grantham school is likely to be our catchment area school which as the crow flies would be St Hughs! but after seeing central is that such a bad thing lol?? was it you i spoke to at central then?? we are looking at Carres today so that will be another choice for us (hopefully) i feel so awfull having such a downer on the Grantham schools since ive lived here for so many years but its my sons education im thinking of and the type of child he is ! let me know how you get on with the lights situation
libs

shellie eyore

Post by libs »

Didn't go to central - going I think oct 8th. Son was very impressed when a member of staff came round to his school - son is very impressionable and rather naive (as perhaps a 10 year old should be) would take the word of a member of staff as gospel - an advertisers dream! We are less easily impressed but will wait and see... Son very sporty, but also 'needs' to be emmersed in an academic environment with lots of other bright pupils who think being studious and hard working isn't too geeky!
Light situation cannot be addressed until results are out and then we've been told we would have a good case for appealing - you don't say!!! Actually staff have been very helpful but all very formally marked and no provision for such an event - needless to say we are having lots of broken nights and much sole searching as to what we do - worst senario is of course if he is really down on his paper - there is no way of showing what he should of got. Perhaps rather fortunately he did go to Kip Mc G so they would have access to results he had there - if they are appropriate.
Didn't go to St Georges ... we are out of catchment but could look into it...
Heard good things. Good luck!
shellie_eeyore

Post by shellie_eeyore »

yes im out of catchment too but as sleaford is so easily accessed from Grantham (good bus and train services ) i still went to look. if we want to go though would definately be an appeal job to get a place although son is sitting there entrance test on tuesday (that way he definately gets offered a place if we put it first) as for sports its a shame you hadnt been to see Carres then, we went Wednesday and its very sporty there specialty is sports your son sounds like he would have fit in there, one thing i really liked is theres just over 700 pupils in the whole school! i know what you mean about going somewhere they arent made to feel geeky thats my hope to (as its led to bullying before now !)
Shell
libs

carres/kings

Post by libs »

Went to Carres with son and we were very impressed with heads speech. A very genuine seeming guy. Liked school but son prefered Kings - which we did really... although really liked both. So tell me why the different exam - I'm confussed!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now