General Advice For Yr4 Child

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jessmum

General Advice For Yr4 Child

Post by jessmum »

Im so glad Ive started my research on the 11+ early and found this great site!

My DD is 8 and just started Yr 4. Her Yr2 SATS were all level 3 (except Science which was 2a) and Im told by her teachers she is a bright, hardworking child (which is the opinion I have too :lol: ). Our local comp is horrid but we do have two good comprehensives nearby which I would be happy for her to attend, however Id like her to have to chance to attend a Grammar School as I think it would be perfect for her character. Im considering Westcliff High School for Girls and Chelmsford High School for Girls.

I want to start DD off with some gentle prep work this year (I intend to get a tutor when she starts Year 5) - English is her strong point (reading and writing) however she is a terrible speller. Her school place little emphasis on it and prefer her to write her stories without worrying about it??? She has never had a spelling test at that school and I feel this has been detrimental so far.

Can anyone recommend work sheets or games that I can work with this year to boost her up in this area?

What else should I be looking at doing in Yr4 - I dont want to start off too heavy, but her Primary isnt red hot and I know she is going to have to put in a lot of work to do well with the 11+.

Any tips gratefully recieved!

Thank you.
jessmum

Post by jessmum »

Nearly 80 views and no replies...Im beginning to think no-one like me!
KB

Post by KB »

Felt you needed a response :)
There are various work books with VR type questions aimed at younger children to get started. Dont go straight in to those at the top level or you will scare both of you!
I would treat them as puzzles to start with.
The English paper for CSSE is comprehension so vocabulary is more important than spelling (although correct spelling is needed for some VR questions) All 3 of my children have real issues with spelling but all got places at Colchester GS so its not critical.
Having said that if its simply a case that no one has taught your child how to spell, rather than it being something that they struggle with then I would definately do some work at home.
There are several CD rom spelling 'games' if you want to make it more fun.
I would also start reading together - traditional classics - to get used to the language that tends to come up in the English test.
And encourage wide reading to generally increase vocabulary.
Probably bit soon to look at the CSSE maths papers - would think if your child is comfortable level 3 & going to tutor next year then you just need to makesurethey are making steady progess this year.
Have you looked at CSSE web site? You can order past papers to give you an idea of what is expected.
Hope this helps. At the very least it might attract more responses for you - especially from those who disagree with my advise :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You do need to give us a clue about which area you live in for us to help you.
Scroll down to your area and post again there.
jessmum

Post by jessmum »

Thanks very much for the advice.

Im from Essex - there are 3 schools which are possible (in terms of distance) which are Chelmsford HS for girls, Westcliff HS for girls and Southend HS for girls. I have two younger boys so its shame there is no mixed option LOL!

I have made a few posts on the Essex section on here as well.
shuff

Post by shuff »

I have been through the 11+ three times, and would suggest you do nothing until a year before they take it. There are many disadvantages to starting too early, the main one being they get fed up with all the verbal and non verbal, so by the time they take it they are completely jaded by the whole thing. Just my opinion!
patricia

Post by patricia »

I agee that practice in the actual disciplines should not be started too early.

However I would say it is a good idea to ensure a good level of vocabulary and that the 4 maths operations are mastered. This can be achieved in a 'fun' way over a period of time.

Reading aloud to an adult is absolutely essential.

Patricia
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hi Jessmum

I agree don't start this early. At eight years old I really feel it is too early to tutor. However working on extending her vocab would be very beneficial and as Patricia says so would learning all her times tables, maths etc.

I am currently tutoring my dd and I guess if I had to do it again I may well start the vocab work well in advance.

There are so many words that could possibly come up in the test that I guess it would really help to have more time to cover them

Why not give her a 10 word spelling list yourself each week.
You can always print off the word list on here (Patricias) and decide what words you think she may be able to learn at this age, just bare in mind there are some very complex words even for a ten/11 year old.

Whatever you decide to do I would suggest being very subtle with it. You could play word games and also just read to her and her to you descussing as many words as possible

A couple of things maybe you could do yourself over the next year to be prepared and make things easier are

Print the word list now and start writing every word up on indidual cards
Buy some practise papers and look at the vocab in them use them to add to your word box
Make up compound words now, write one part on one card and the other on another

eg
sea son
ear nest
I used cards the size of a business card. Make as many as you can think of again getting them out of any papers you buy.

I would not start properly tutoring until the Jan before she will take the test but if you do some of this stuff you will be very prepared.

Needless to say you can also spend alot of time on here reading the posts and picking up as much advice as you can ahead of the game

Hope this helps

Mel
jessmum

Post by jessmum »

Thanks all - some great advice and tips.

I had a very casual chat with her Yr4 teacher this afternoon to gauge her opinion - she was very helpful and was of the feeling that my DD would definately be a suitable child for sitting the 11+. She did re-iterate that Yr5 was the year for tutoring and practise papers, although rather helpfully, she did tell me that she would monitor her closely this year and provide me with updates of her progress (regarding her suitability for taking the exam and Grammar School potential). It helps enormously that the TA in the class already has a son at Grammar and the teacher has advised me to liase with her closely which I will do in due course.

So for now, Im just going to concentrate on brushing up her vocab and spelling, getting her to read as much as possible (which she loves) and find some fun word games. This time next year I think I will have a much better idea whether this is something that DD should be doing or not.

Im sure this site will be an absolute God send as Ive learnt a lot in only a few days!

Thanks again.