Statistics for this year

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Janedingdong

Statistics for this year

Post by Janedingdong »

Wondered whether anybody had any figures for this year's hopefuls.

My daughter is in a small school with only 18 year 6 children and 6 took the test - only just over 30%.

I thought the general consensus was that this year takers would be up because there was nothing to lose by attempting.

It doesn't seem to be the case with our school.

Jane
SHELBELLE

Post by SHELBELLE »

Hi Jane

Yes I would like to know if anyone has any info on this as well.

I did read on kent.gov.uk that 11,000 kids registered to take the 11+, but obviously not all of them may have sat it.

I know in my DS school, which has 2 classes of 30 year 6 children, that around 10 sat the Kent test and less sat the Bexley test. Not a high percentage is it? but we are a religious school and the 11+ is not promoted or encouraged unfortunately!!

I will wait to see if any other posters have any views on this subject.

Thanks

S.B.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

remember it is over the whole of Kent, even if only 1 or 2 extra children from a school take it, it would make a difference.
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

My children are at the largest state primary school in "rural" Kent (ie, outside of Bexley, Medway etc) with 96 children in a junior year group (occasionally one or two more as the school is about six over the number it is meant to have). Usually 35-40 children sit the 11+ but this year it was over 50 I think two entered who did not then sit it.
Skimum

Post by Skimum »

My son goes to a Medway primary but we live in Kent and our first choice secondary is in Kent hence he took the test. He's in a class of 18 of which 8 took the Kent test though most as a practise/back up option for Medway and we know a number of other parents in other schools that have taken a similar stance.

As Yoyo123 says it doesn't take that many such instances, or, that many "well, let's just see what happens now that we have testing before preference" to significantly up the numbers.
best for son

Post by best for son »

Hi there,

It looks like the KCC figures are accurate. My son attends a small villiage school where out of the whole class approx 30 children, only three did not take the tests.

I think it is fairer this way as it gives everyone the opportunity, but I'm also concerned as now the pass mark will surely go up. Even if DS is able to get through, he then has the next hurdle of actually getting a GS place.

Is anyone else worried about this? or am I the only really stressed out mum!.

Oh, October 21st please hurry up and put us all out of our misery!!

Love best for son

:roll:
jnadams2

Post by jnadams2 »

My DD is in a large primary school, 120 in Year 6! She tells me that there were 2 full classes taking it, which must mean about 60 or more!! There was actually 60 last year! With only about 28 passing.
nkm

Post by nkm »

My understanding is that 6000 took last year and it is close or above 11000 this year. Oh dear.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

But in 2007, when our eldest sat it, I was told by KCC it was almost 10,000. I think there is also a higher birth rate this year. At my son's primary, only those who would have normally sat the test sat it, with not many 'just having a go' (except us of course!).
wonderingmum

Post by wonderingmum »

Hello all,
I'm a newbie here so forgive me if I am asking a dumb question ( or one that has already been brought up!)
I'm confused by the idea that the 'top' 25% of children sitting the test pass.
If it is the top 25% that pass, surely this year that means almost double the amount of children will pass? (25% of 11,000 as opposed to 25% of 6000) I guess I am just worried that we will have children who have passed the test but can't get into a grammar school because of oversubscription....
Will they just put up the pass mark or lower the percentage or something?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now