transport from Bromsgrove/Barnt Green to Camp Hill Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

blackwellmum

transport from Bromsgrove/Barnt Green to Camp Hill Girls

Post by blackwellmum »

Hi, I've seen somewhere that there is a new bus service to CH girls, but its not advertised on the BGB company website. Are any parents using it??
thanks
Claire
lottie

Post by lottie »

I don't know of any other buses - but Ken R might.

We live in bromsgrove, and our daughter goes to KE Handsworth - the green bus goes there, but the journey is too long. It takes us 20 -25 mins in the car. Junction 4 M5 to Junction1 M5 - really easy journey!

Best of luck.

Lottie
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi

There are some new bus services to CH Girls but I don't think they go from Blackwell/Barnt Green.

Check out http://www.thegreenbus.co.uk for details of all the current school bus routes.

Unfortunately they do make some route changes from year to year depending of the pupil home locations for that year. You could also give them a call to find out new planned routes for 2009 - they are very helpful.

Probably the best KE school access for Blackwell is KE 5-Ways - the 881 (my son's bus) service goes past there and I think there is a bus to KE Handsworth from that area. However 5-ways is a co-ed school so you may not be interested.

Might be worthwhile exploring Sutton Coldfield Girls Grammar seeing as there is an excellent train service.
PollyP

Post by PollyP »

I've been looking in to buses from this area for Camp Hill too, but with no luck. There was meant to be one starting this month, but was dropped due to lack of numbers. It's a vicious circle - until there's a definite bus service, people won't apply to those schools. Once one is established, custom would pick up. I've tried saying this to the Green Bus co, but I don't suppose they'll put on a bus just for me! I don't know if it would help if other people moaned.
My daughter loved Camp Hill , but we just don't know whether to put it on the form, in case she gets in and we can't get her there! Does anyone else travel from Bromsgrove area to Camp Hill - if so , how?!
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi PollyP

I'm afraid the Green Bus Co doesn't seem to plan that way - all they do is take a look at the concentration of pupils following the exam results March and then adjusts the routes accordingly.

Your best best for Camp Hill would probably be Train (to Bournville) and bus (11A). Bit of a long journey though
lottie

Post by lottie »

Hi Polly

Our DD goes to KE Handsworth, and we have looked into all the viable travel routes to all three free KE schools (Handsworth, Camphill and Fiveways).

As far as the Green bus is concerned, it is the best option for Fiveways (the bus journey is not too long!). It doesn't appear to go to Camphill from Broms at all, but it does collect from near to Broms for Handsworth, but the journey is really long!

Before we entered our DD into the exam, we did dummy runs in the car to camphill from our house (in Broms) and found the traffic horrendous!

Our DD subsequently got offered a place at Handsworth, and we drive her there, it takes 20 - 25 mins, as the route is so easy M5 Jc4 to M5 J1, then we go the back way to Hall Road (always plenty of parking for parents right outside the gates).

Ideally though, it would be great if the green bus went form Broms, and took a more direct route, but it doesn't! As Ken R said, they see what influx of children pass, then they decide their route. We thought about moving to Sutton Coldfield (lots of girls from sutton go to Handsworth), to be on the Green Bus route that end (about 15 -20mins bus ride), but with the credit crunch and the possibility that they Green bus could change it's route next year - we are going to wait abit!

Good Luck
Lottie
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

There's a facility on Google maps which I think is new. If you find KE Camp Hill and zoom in enough to see the road outside, you'll see little blue squares along the sides of the surrounding roads. Those mark the bus stops. Click on the most convenient and a bubble will pop up with the name of the stop and on the next line a link to "transportdirect.info". Click on that and it will give you a journey planner from there to your destination via train, bus and walking (excludes the Green bus I think). Some of the routes it offers are very convoluted so it's worth looking at all of them that aren't too slow to find a sensibly straightforward one. (And of course, sometimes there just might not be a good route.)

How good is that?!

Mike
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now