GL VS CEM

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Happygolucky13

GL VS CEM

Post by Happygolucky13 »

Hi

Could anyone help me here please? I have a child who attend grammar school.He wrote the exam in CEM style. My second child is in year 4 and I am planning to start introducing to 11 plus materials by 2024. I have too many books in CEM format that i used with 1st born. But 2nd will be writing in GL. Should I discard the materials ( which cost me an arm and leg) or is there too much difference between GL vs CEM? Most of my books are CGP.
Thank you.
JustOutside

Re: GL VS CEM

Post by JustOutside »

Like your first child, my DD took the CEM test, so my caveat is that I don't know the GL system very well.

However, I'm pretty confident that most of the prep is very similar, so I would recommend you get started with the books you have.

I understand that the maths is particularly similar - a couple of years ago a friend purchased CGP maths workbooks and didn't realise they were for the GL test. She panicked and bought the CEM ones - and most of the questions were identical. (Obviously, this was also CGP saving money by reusing materials!)

The main difference is in some of the verbal reasoning - I understand there are some specific question types for GL including things like deciphering code. The details of these are available online. Also, I understand that not all the GL question types are used in all areas, but you can check the details for the West Midlands Grammar Schools on their online materials.

There might be some grammar questions in the GL test as well, that CEM didn't have.

I think the books you have will set your second child up well for the next year or so. Part way through Y5 it would be worth topping your stash of materials up with a couple of GL-specific books, but I wouldn't worry for now.
11+examprep

Post by 11+examprep »

Hi, My daughter wrote her exam this year - GL format. I bought both the CEM and GL CGP books. The format of the exam is different, but the content is more or less the same - this is how we felt. Plus, it gave us a variety of materials to work on. For e.g., the number of Comprehension passages, Cloze -style passages improved my daughter's vocabulary. What I didnt use is the CEM - NVR books as there wasn't enough time to run through the GL-NVR books towards the end. So, if you have CEM CGP, they will be still valuable for the preparation. The 10mins tests Maths books we found the questions were same in both CEM and GL books.
Happygolucky13

Post by Happygolucky13 »

Thank you so much both of you for the detailed reply. I think I will start with the materials I have and will try to buy some GL books or put him in tuition in the last stages :D :lol: My elder one is a go getter , so was quite easy for him to achieve good score. But second boy is born with the ultimate aim of testing my patience :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now