ADHD diagnosis

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PerpetualStudent

ADHD diagnosis

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Greetings,

I wanted to post as an update to an excellent thread from 2018 about ADD (a term no longer used formally).

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... &hilit=ADD

My DD, currently just a few months away from A Level exams (and way past her 11+) has finally been diagnosed with ADHD Inattentive, more than 5 years after her DCD/dyspraxia diagnosis.

I wanted to add links to a couple of papers that may help others who are struggling with getting a DC diagnosed or just negotiating their way through the many ADHD myths in the community.

The first paper, which discusses how girls often present differently from the stereotypical boy with ADHD, would have been handy when DD was initially denied a diagnosis because she was too well-behaved.

Young, S., Adamo, N., Ásgeirsdóttir, B.B. et al. Females with ADHD: An expert consensus statement taking a lifespan approach providing guidance for the identification and treatment of attention-deficit/ hyperactivity disorder in girls and women. BMC Psychiatry 20, 404 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12888-020-02707-9

This second paper is a wide-ranging review of research into what ADHD is, what causes it, how it can be diagnosed, and what treatments actually work.

The World Federation of ADHD International Consensus Statement: 208 Evidence-based conclusions about the disorder,
Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews,
Volume 128,
Pages 789-818,
ISSN 0149-7634,
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neubiorev.2021.01.022.
(https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 342100049X)

HTH
PS

Edited 1x to add link to old thread
mad?

Re: ADHD diagnosis

Post by mad? »

Thank you for posting these useful resources PS. I'm so pleased that you finally have a diagnosis - only sorry that it has been such a long road. Good luck to you both going forward. :)
mad?
PerpetualStudent

Thanks mad :D

It’s going to be a bit of a rough ride to A Levels but at least DD has a fighting chance now.

cheers
PS
mad?

Post by mad? »

Wishing her all the best - keep us updated
mad?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Excellent that she’s got a diagnosis, just knowing and being able to adjust how she works etc will be a big help.

Hopefully she’s also get some accommodations at uni.

Miss Tinkers got her diagnosis first year at uni. She actually went for dyslexia, got that, adhd and dyspraxia but ND things rarely appear by themselves, if there’s one there’s often more than one.

It’s also now obvious where she got it from (Mr Tinkers) and whilst he isn’t bothering getting a formal diagnosis (he’s retiring soon), it’s made a big difference to all three of us knowing the both of them have it.
PerpetualStudent

Hi Tinkers,

Thank you. It’s been really heartening to hear how well Miss Tinkers is doing. Finding out she had dyspraxia and ADHD as well must have come as a bit of a shock but as DD says on ´being labelled’ - it’s not as if the label changes who she is or the strengths and weaknesses she has to live with anyway. I agree that simply knowing is a huge help in itself.

DD should have been diagnosed a year ago, and had all that time to adjust, find the right medication and be in a good position to catch up on her studies. DD will now have just 11 weeks.

I didn’t know nearly enough about ADHD or I would have pushed back on the notion that DD had to be disruptive to get a diagnosis. This, incidentally, was the same reason given to my DN when she sought a diagnosis a few years ago.

Having done a lot more reading since then, I now suspect that both Mr PS and I have quite strong ADHD traits. Which actually made it harder for us to spot that DD’s struggles were outside the norm. Now I know why I always did my best work in the shadow of a deadline, why we’re always running to the gate to catch a flight before it closes, and why we tend to be quite calm in situations where other people often get a bit stressed.

Thanks again,
PS
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now