We have been shortlisted for the National Tutoring Awards 2024! If Eleven Plus Exams has helped you, we would like to ask for your support, by voting for us in the People’s Choice Awards.

Admission as pupils premium

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sarah Maryame

Admission as pupils premium

Post by Sarah Maryame »

ood afternoon,

I would like to have some information about admissions as a "premium pupil" for my child who was selected following his success in the entrance tests at King Edward School to access a grammar school in September 2024. Following the incessant verbal and physical aggression that my child has been experiencing at his current school for over a year now, we are trying to transfer him to another public school , so that he no longer has to endure this because he is traumatized. However, without success, because there is no place in the various schools requested, we therefore turned to independent schools for this last term and a half and we found a place for him.
My question is the following: ´if my child changes school during these last months in year 6 and joins an independent school because I did not find him a place in a free public school. So there are no free meals in this school, he will bring a lunch box from home, will he still be admitted to a grammar school, under the eligibility criterion of premium pupil, if we take into account the fact that he came to the canteen for free.?
Waiting for you to grant urgent support to my request, because my child passed the test to enter this independent school, also, we are just waiting for the response to our request from you to know if he will not lose not his place to enter a grammar school in September 2024 by being "transferred" to an independent and paying school and therefore by no longer being registered under the premium pupil criterion?
Thank you for your understanding.
hermanmunster

Re: Admission as pupils premium

Post by hermanmunster »

Please note: Only state-funded schools receive Pupil Premium funding. Therefore, if your child is home educated or attends an independent school they will not be eligible to be considered for one of the Pupil Premium places.
Just looking at this page https://www.birminghamgrammarschools.or ... il-premium

however - your child was at a state school when they applied so to get a proper answer I think you will have to ask the LEA
Sarah Maryame

Post by Sarah Maryame »

thank you Herman Munster. yes I also saw this information on the King Edward school website, that's why I tried to get an answer on this forum, thinking that perhaps one of the parents has already dealt with a similar exceptional situation, luckily, you never know?! on the other hand, what is the LEA? could you tell me a little more about it please? I have no idea about the procedures or how it happens? Thank you in advance for your response, which will be of great help to me. my child's situation is worrying, with what is happening in his current school, but I also want to make the right decision for him, regarding his future in the grammar school, it is an opportunity for him, and he would be so disappointed , if because of what is happening to him at school at the moment, should also make him lose this chance! My question is delicate, that's why I asked it on this forum, thinking that maybe someone would have an answer for me. yes or no of course, but which is clear so that I can make the right decision for my child.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

LEA = Local Education Authority - you will have submitted your Common Application Form through the website of the Local Authority where you are resident, and it is the admissions team there whom you should contact about the change of circumstance.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Sarah Maryame wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:05 pm yes I also saw this information on the King Edward school website, that's why I tried to get an answer on this forum, thinking that perhaps one of the parents has already dealt with a similar exceptional situation, luckily, you never know?!

I suspect one of the difficult things here in looking for others who have had the same problem (and I can't think we have come across it on the forum) is that pupil premium is usually (but not always) given for children eligible for free school meals - (there are other circumstances eg previously looked after children etc) and that is likely related to lower than average income and unlikely to lead to people taking up independent school places, particularly part way through a year etc when bursaries are unavailable.

Honestly don't know the answer to your question
bridge

Post by bridge »

If he has triggered the PP funding then that remains with him throughout his schooling until 16 irrespective of your circumstances. It's not clear whether he has or not. All London primary (state) students are eligible for free school meals - currently. This is different to being eligible for PP. I'm not sure what is happening in your area.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

bridge wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:24 pm If he has triggered the PP funding then that remains with him throughout his schooling until 16 irrespective of your circumstances. It's not clear whether he has or not. All London primary (state) students are eligible for free school meals - currently. This is different to being eligible for PP. I'm not sure what is happening in your area.

I think the problem here for the OP is that the the Birmingham Grammars specifically say:
Please note: Only state-funded schools receive Pupil Premium funding. Therefore, if your child is home educated or attends an independent school they will not be eligible to be considered for one of the Pupil Premium places.
bridge

Post by bridge »

sorry missed that. would seem that asking LEA would be the route to take. personally to avoid any doubt i'd grin and bear the last term and a half to avoid any doubt.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

bridge wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:28 pm sorry missed that. would seem that asking LEA would be the route to take. personally to avoid any doubt i'd grin and bear the last term and a half to avoid any doubt.
agree but can also understand why you might want to remove a child from school, - also possible that simply no-one knows which schools these children are at after the CAF is submitted.

TBH the comment on the Birmingham Grammars website would be open to discussion - they say that they can't have pupil premium place if home edded or at an indie - is if they were not in a state school at the time of CAF? time of changing schools? for more than say X period of time in the last 6 years? or if they were ever not at a state school?

Suspect the problem has never actually come up and they haven't had to consider it. Maybe they would say that the Pupil Premium places were to level the playing field at the time of the test and what happens after that is not relevant (but they don't say that)
RC11plus

Post by RC11plus »

The website also says:

For the school to receive Pupil Premium funding, the child must have been registered and in receipt of Free School Meals (due to family low income for example) at any point in the last six years. This is different to Universal Free School Meals which all children in Reception - Year 2 receive regardless of income.

For 2024 entry, your child must have been registered for and in receipt of Free School Meals at any point before the closing date for test registration (30 June 2023). You must tick the relevant box when registering for the entrance test. Failure to tick the box on your application will result in your child not being considered for one of the Pupil Premium places

I would double check with your local authority but my reading of this is that the qualifying date for pupil premium was 30/06/23 and as long as you qualified for and ticked the box when you applied to sit the test, your son would still qualify for a pupil premium place (subject to individual school criteria)
Take stock, book a mock