Slough/ Bucks 11+ Assessment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Superstar

Slough/ Bucks 11+ Assessment

Post by Superstar »

Hello, my DS will be taking both tests as we are on the border. Does anyone know if they are very similar as I understand they are both GL?

Also, do you know if my DS passes one but not the other, would that be helpful in an appeal to prove that he is capable or unlikely to count?

Thank you.
scary mum

Re: Slough/ Bucks 11+ Assessment

Post by scary mum »

The two areas will have commissioned their own 11 plus exams so they may not be that similar.
With regard to using a result from one exam in the appeal for another area. See here
scary mum
Superstar

Post by Superstar »

Thank you for your reply. Would the preparation be the same I.e. GL Assessment practise books? Or is there something one focuses on?
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Hiya.

As far as we’ve seen previously in the Appeals boards, it’s not recommended that passing in one area is seen to be useful to appeal to another area.
The general consensus is that it is slightly harder to pass in Slough than in Bucks, but the only reason for this is that they are both cohort exams with about 6-7000 takers each year, but the Bucks exam is automatically taken by every Bucks schoolchild including middle and low achievers, unless their parents specifically opt them out (or keep them off school that day). So the average ability of those taking the test in Bucks is a little lower, and not all of the children have been practicing or had tutur support.
Slough is an opt-in exam, so only the pupils whose parents actively want them to take the test will register them: so the average ability is higher. also Slough has a LOT of out-of-area parents put their DC in, many of whom tutor for two or even three years (really!) and they are drilled and drilled to be quick. this means the bar is set higher to be in the top 30% to get a “passing” score.
Superstar

Post by Superstar »

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. Am I right in thinking the preparation we need to do is GL Assessment practise books and that should cover both tests?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Superstar wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:28 pm Thank you very much for the detailed reply. Am I right in thinking the preparation we need to do is GL Assessment practise books and that should cover both tests?
Yes, that should be sufficient. Bucks has sample papers as well, just up show you the types of questions. I don't know if Slough has something similar?
scary mum
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Slough had an old familirisation booklet, but it’s from before they changed to CEM and back again (2015!!)

https://www.sloughconsortium.org.uk/do ... 2015.pdf

There is a NEW set of GL resoirces just released, available by scrolling down to the bottom of this info page from Hershel Grammar: take a look!

https://www.herschel.slough.sch.uk/ye ... s-2024/
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now