How do waiting lists work?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
siro157

How do waiting lists work?

Post by siro157 »

Hi all,

I searched for a simple thread outlining this and couldn't find one (although please delete this if there is).

Assume many of us posting here have DS/DD on the boderline.

On National Offer Day, if they don't get the place they want at an Essex/Southend grammar how do the waiting lists work? Do you have to ask to be put on it? Or is it automatic (if the score is close enough to the cut off)?

How do you then check what number they are on the list so you can work out their chances?

Thanks!
Tinkers

Re: How do waiting lists work?

Post by Tinkers »

Most LAs work a little differently. Some will automatically assume you want to be on the WL for schools higher on your CAF that you didn’t get, some will ask if you want to be added.

If it’s not clear on allocations days, and you haven’t been allocated your first choice etc, then ask.

Often schools won’t give out WL,postions until after they have had all the acceptances/rejections back 2 weeks after allocations day, but again this varies from place to place.

If you mention which LA and/or schools someone with recent experience of them might be able to confirm.
siro157

Post by siro157 »

Thank you Tinkers. I'm specifically thinking of Southend Boys and Colchester Royal (but I assume it will be the same for all the grammars maybe, so helpful to everyone).
mad?

Post by mad? »

I'm sure someone with local knowledge will be able to provide more specific detail - however, usually when you get your offer of a place (accept this no matter what) it will tell you what to do if you want to be placed on the waiting list of other schools (sometimes this is automatic sometimes not), if you are not given this information, and no-one here can advise, I'd suggest calling the schools concerned directly to ask. Good luck. Let's hope you don't need to know. :D
mad?
maystars

Post by maystars »

I went through this last year. I knew my DD’s score was borderline for CCHS so I put it #1 on the form and crossed my fingers. Offer day rolled around and, sadly, we were allocated the local comp (4th choice).

We were automatically on the waiting lists for schools 1, 2 and 3 (CCHS, Westcliff, Southend). Three weeks later we got a letter saying a place at CCHS was available, followed by a letter from ECC saying the same. It was then a case of emailing ECC to accept the offer and decline the 4th choice school.

It was, thankfully, really simple. Obviously I can’t speak for the Southend schools but hopefully they are similar.
maystars

Post by maystars »

Forgot to mention one other thing - at the very end of the email from ECC on offer day was an explanation of the waiting list process and a link where you could check your child’s position. I didn’t even see this because, after the disappointment of not getting one of our preferred schools, I didn’t read the whole thing! So it was a total surprise when the offer letter did arrive, and to this day I have no idea what number DD was on the waiting list (but it must have been single figures).

Can’t seem to upload a screenshot so I’ll c&p the text.
Your child’s name will be placed on the waiting list for any Essex school which was a higher preference than the school offered. Information about waiting list positions will be available from 21 March 2023 using the following link https://www.essex.gov.uk/after-your-sch ... ting-lists You will need your child’s Application Reference Number which can be found at the top of this email. For non-Essex schools please contact the Local Authority where the school is located to understand their waiting list process and any procedures about accepting a place.
siro157

Post by siro157 »

Thank you so much maystars - super helpful. So pleased it all worked out for you.
Swirl

Post by Swirl »

If you look through the 'Essex allocations' threads, there is quite a lot of useful information there (parents often commenting on how the position moved or didn't move).

I haven't got any direct experience of waiting lists but based on friends' experience, they could view the position on the waiting list around 21 March once the offers had been accepted or rejected; they could also track the position and how it changed. A girl we know was initially offered her 4th choice, then was offered her third choice a couple of months later (Southend for girls) and her second choice towards the end of the summer - which they accepted. There was quite a lot of movement on the list in the first few days (or even hours) and I know of a child whose position changed by about ten places between the morning and the evening. I believe it slows down after that.

Colchester Royal doesn't have a priority area; I'm not sure whether Southend Boys has a waiting list for IC pupils or only for OOC.

I hope it goes well for your DC.
siro157

Post by siro157 »

Hi all. I've looked through the Essex allocations threads from the past and it's all very interesting. Here is a summary of what I've learned:

- You can find out waiting list positions from Mid-March
- There is usually a lot of movement in June
- If you are top 10 on a waiting list you have a good chance of getting in
- There is a domino effect. For example someone turns down KEGS as they are now going private - so that place is filled by someone who was going to WHSB, whose place in turn is filled by someone who was going to SHSB, whose place is now free. So one person turning down the first offer helps three others).

One thing I'm not sure on is do you ACCEPT whichever school you get offered on National Offer Day? Let's say it's your third or fourth chouce? I assume so (and that it doesn't take your DS/DD off the waiting list for those above it)?

Thanks all!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes, you accept what you are allocated. If you turn it down the local authority is under no obligation to find you another place, they have gone their job. In most areas you are automatically put in the waiting list for higher preference schools, but do check (it should say in your allocation letter).
scary mum