NFER format papers

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mike Edwards

NFER format papers

Post by Mike Edwards »

Myself and partner are currently writing verbal reasoning multiple-choice papers formatted to compliment NFER familiarization papers.

Writing the question papers has not been too difficult, however the answer sheet has proven to be a bit of a problem, but I think we have overcome that.

All of the papers will be classroom tested before they are offered in the E-papers section of this website. The first two papers should be available from 12th October and two more papers will follow each week until there are twelve papers.

In the new year we will be writing 10, 20, 40 and 60 question papers for parents who are preparing children at home from an early age.

Thank you to Lee for creating this site, it is an excellent resource for both parents and tutors.
Mina

Post by Mina »

Thank you Mike - that's brilliant. Exactly what I am looking for as I live in Kent and Nfer is the Board they use.
bb

I see there are two new E-papers added to the site today.

Post by bb »

As promised from Mike, I have noticed two new E-papers in Verbal Reasoning section.
  1. The Tutors Verbal Reasoning Paper 1 - Multiple Choice
  2. The Tutors Verbal Reasoning Paper 2 - Multiple Choice
camin

help needed urgently , a message to Mike Edwards.

Post by camin »

Dear Mike,

I was reading your postings the other day and was impressed by your knowledge of NFER papers. Now we've got problem and your name came to my mind first.

We started preparing the 11+ from the middle of August(a little bit late I shoud say) for the exam in Essex. I bought Bond 4th and 5th books in VR, Math and English and now we nearly finished them. My daughter achieved 82%-89% in 5th VR book and always had time for checking, though she didn't check properly.

Yesterday we tried NFER VR paper 11a(standard format), she found it hard and didn't finish in time. This makes me very nervous. I have some questions and hope you can give me some help and advices.

1. I thought Bond papers covered most types of questions and was of similar difficulties to the NFERs. It seems I am wrong, or is it? Could you tell me how much easier you think Bond is than the Nfer and which types it didn't cover? If a child achieves 85% in bond, how much would you expect s/he to get in nfer? And how about English and math, camparing Bond to Nfer?

2. I'd like to save the other nfer papers to the last two weeks, so we need papers to practice now. which books and papers you think will help us familiarizing the Nfer's questions?

3. My daughter is not good at one type of question - to insert a 3-letter word into a sentence with a unfinished word in it and to make the whole sentence sensible, ie. The cat sratched him with his CS. Answer is LAW. Do you have any idea in how to improve this?

The exam is on 26th Nov, so your early response would be much appreciated. Other people's comments and advices would also be gratefully recieved. Thanks.

Camin
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

I have never worked with Bond papers, so cannot comment on their suitability. I do know that some of the books were written around 1988 and things have probably moved on since then.

As far as recommending books and papers. I would suggest IPS, they have a book of types of questions and a book of tests. You can buy both from this site. If Essex are using standard multiple-choice papers (not Bucks with additional questions) then leave out type H, I, K, N, O and S type questions because these do not appear on NFER familiarization papers. Also if Essex are setting multiple-choice papers you are better off working in that format rather than the standard written format papers. You can teach a technique whereby the student obtains the answer from the answer sheet. There are some good NFER format E-papers that you can also download from this site.

The three letter insertion questions are the ones my students have most difficulty with, however if you use multiple-choice format papers the answer is always there. A good exercise is to obtain a wordlist book, look at seven and eight letter words and identify those that have a word of three consecutive letters hidden in them.

Hope this helps, good luck.
camin

Post by camin »

Hi, Mike,

Thank you very much for your help.

They use standard format only in Essex, 100 questions in 50 minutes. I'll buy the IPS papers for practicing.

Thanks again.

Post by Guest »

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hijack this thread (don't how to contact you otherwise!). Yesterday I downloaded The Tutors Verbal Reasoning Paper 3 from this site. The answer sheet (page 10) does not belong to the questions on this paper. Please check it and post a reply. I can mail you (if you would provide the eamil address) the downloaded pdf file if you want.

Regards,
SB

Post by Guest »

Contacted 11plus and it is resolved now. I have now downloaded the one with the correct answers.

Regards,
SB
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now