gcse maths text book -edexcel

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum of two

gcse maths text book -edexcel

Post by mum of two »

could anyone suggest a maths gcse edexcel text book which I could use at home to help my son. In his school they are not given any text books which is a bit worrying.
jah

Post by jah »

Just had a look at the web site of one of the big booksellers. There seem to be a number published; each with a different book corrresponding to the level of paper being attempted. At least 7 different authors.

I would have a look and see which attracts you most, as different people tend to like different layouts. Do you want lots of explanation, or lots of diagrams for example? Would you prefer colour, or do you find it distracting?

Does the school use a textbook, but just not hand it out? It may be that they use material from several different sources. If they do just use one book, then I would go for a copy of that; but check that they're not about to move on to a different one.
mum of two

gcse maths text book edexcel

Post by mum of two »

Thank you for your information. I would prefer higher tier books with explanation or one which is easier to get an answer book that accompanies with it. In my son's school they seem to use different books/resources.
fm

Post by fm »

I had the same problem. My son's school wouldn't allow them to take their textbooks home. I wrote a letter to his teacher, explaining I was going to help him, and, due to my interest, he was then allowed to take a textbook home.

Have you also considered buying a CGP or Lett's revision guide for Edexcel which also has an accompanying workbook so that after you've studied the topic, you can then set some questions on it? Ultimately it will be cheaper than a bought textbook which tend to be over £10.
tehmonkey

Post by tehmonkey »

Could your son get the ISB number of the book and try and find the book that way. We had the same problem with a history book and by getting the ISB number we were able to find it.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I like the publishers book which begins with Co-----, the questions are all graded so you can see how they are doing.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Edexcel GCSE Maths intermediate/higher Revision Guide
ISBN 0007213611

Picked mine up from the local Oxfam bookshop.

Very good IMHO

:D

BW
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Bewildered - that book is not geared to the two tier exam - it would be better to have a book written for the new specifications.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I Like the co............ books, used them to tutor a year 9 child, I knew what level we were working at
mum of two

Post by mum of two »

Is it collins?