Appeal advice please -flyhigh Slough

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
flyhigh

Appeal advice please -flyhigh Slough

Post by flyhigh »

Hello,

My son scored 113 in Slough 11+ exams and did not get a place in any of Slough grammar schools. He is on the waiting list.

I am appealing for a place and preparing my case. I have a couple of reasons to put forward in my appeal but I need help in deciding what grounds I should focus on and how to do the appeal in a way that increases the chances to win.

1. Non qualification

He scored over 111 (eligibility criteria) but less than what needed to gain a place. Would this still count as non qualification?

I have evidence from school proving his acadamic ability (school report, letters from both class teacher and head teacher)

2. Extenuating circumstances

My son has a younger sibling with a disability. She is non verbal and had a meltdown on the test day (It was Saturday and she was at home). I am single parent and it was very stressful for me and my son. We reached the test centre last minute and all this experience impacted my son's performance.

He scored much higher in Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire when my daugher was at school on the test days.

Will this be good enough ground for appeal? I can provide DLA letter in evidence but unsure if that's useful?

3. I moved to Slough this month due to a new job. I have informed Slough council and provided the required evidence of the move.

Both Upton and Langley grammar schools are within walking distance from my new address. If my son gets admission in any of these school, it would be easier for me to do school runs for my daughter. She goes to a special school in Maidenhead (council has not arranged transport yet).

Should I put all the above grounds in my appeal? Is it better to focus on one of these reasons and build my case around that?

Sorry I am doing this for the first time and would highly appreciate advice and suggestions.

Thank you.
scary mum

Re: Appeal advice please -flyhigh Slough

Post by scary mum »

Welcome to the forum.
Have you read this section, and the associated Q&As? Many of your questions are answered there.
If you still have questions, please do not hesitate to come back & ask.
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi flyhigh!

Scary mum has highlighted where to start in this process, there is loads of info there and it will definitely help to focus questions and inform you about what to include and not include - the key is evidence - what I would say is that it is almost impossible to know how any appeal panel will rule, they are independent - all you can do is present the evidence on the day.

Appeal cases where pupils have reached the required standard but it is not enough for the place have led to much discussion in the past as to whether evidence of academic ability ie as in a non qualification appeal is needed as well as evidence of reasons pertaining to oversubscription - I think the conclusion was that it probably did need including - along with reasons as to why it may not have been as good as it could on the day.

Can I just check - you have recently moved into the area so assume you were a late applicant and included on the WL when it came out? Have you been allocated a place at another school?

One of the problems with Langley (and it sounds like you live close) is that a score of 111 for a P1 would normally have led to a place but not this year and there must be quite a number on the list from the area and many will be appealing.
flyhigh

Post by flyhigh »

Hi hermanmunster!

Yes, I have moved this month only. My son was allocated a school based on my previous address - its out of Slough. He is keen to attend a grammar school and would thrive in that environment.

He is on the waiting list of all Slough grammar schools. I have informed the council and sent all the proof of address. I have also submitted a late application form - not sure if this was required though?

Do you know what happens next? Will the new address change his poistion on the waiting list? When I emailed individual schools about the change in address, they said it won't have an impact at the moment. So when does it come into affect? After 1st round of allocations?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Have you been advised of WL positions ? I would have thought that if they had acknowledged the new address then they should be counting it - at 113 (and living nearby - are you P1 ? ) you should be fairly high up the list for say Langley - what position are you now?

we would need some locals to let us know about the other schools?

Some LEAs don't count new addresses until after a round of the reallocation but I can't see anything to that effect in Slough

Suspect putting in the late form was the right thing to do - you will need a school somewhere for him as presume he won't be able tp travel back to the old are to go to the allocated school
flyhigh

Post by flyhigh »

With the previous address, he was 55 (P2) on the waiting list of Langley grammar. I have not been informed of any changes to his new position yet. Should I chase the LA for an update?

I also would like to mention my new address in the appeal but I am not sure if I should? What if this creates confusion as my other grounds become less important than being in P1? My new address will change the situation considerably I suppose. It's so complicated, isn't it?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

flyhigh wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:44 pm With the previous address, he was 55 (P2) on the waiting list of Langley grammar. I have not been informed of any changes to his new position yet. Should I chase the LA for an update?

I also would like to mention my new address in the appeal but I am not sure if I should? What if this creates confusion as my other grounds become less important than being in P1? My new address will change the situation considerably I suppose. It's so complicated, isn't it?

I think you should speak to the LEA to check whether they have accepted the new address and whether that is being used for the waiting list and if there is anything else you need to do.

re the appeal, I'm not sure I understand your question - you can't appeal as though you were at your old address??
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

I’m afraid to say your change in address will not likely “change your position considerably” though it will put your child further up the waiting list for LGS, it won’t for the schools where score based places are more of a priority (check
individual school policies re waiting lists to be sure).

As I’m sure you know, many, many children pass the Slough exams each year without obtaining a place. there are hundreds of appeals for qualified-but-oversubscription each year and only one or two successful appeals. All of these parents hope they have a chance (and will offer reasons why their child would “thrive at a grammar” but the fact remains, I’m afraid, that without extremeley significant exenuating circumstances the chances of successful appeal are remote simply because these schools are now full. the odd handful of children will get in on the waiting list (which is your best chance)
so stay on that, but please be realistic that an appeal is unlikely to succeed.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

To try to be a little more positive:

1) No: you don’t have to appeal against non-qualification. With a score of 111 your son has “qualified”, he has just not been successful as his pass wasn’t high enougbup the admission criteria of any of the Slough Grammars you selected on the CAF

you DO have to appeal against “oversubscription”: those schools are full and to give him a place would
overfill the class: why would he deserve that place more than any other of the 50-100 other parents appealing for their children with similar scores/situations? they can’t all be let in, and even admitting one child over PAN has to be individually justified by the appeal panel as outweighing the prejudice against the other school pupils of having an over-full year.

2) by all means argue your son’s score should have been higher… but be aware that proof that a sibling’s meltdown (which presumably occurs on a regular basis) isn’t unusual and if he performed well on other days that isn’t necessarily proveable as because of that event. Most exenuating curtumstances that carry weight with proof, are one-off or ongoing serious events that impact significantly due to severe emotional or physical upset.

3) livng near the schools after moving in late (after test results) doesn’t carry extra weight other than to (for some schools) affect the waiting list. there are lots of children who live close to the Slough grammars, and have to “ship out” to schools miles away. What matters is where your child falls according to the admission criteria.

Good luck!
flyhigh wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:04 am Hello,

My son scored 113 in Slough 11+ exams and did not get a place in any of Slough grammar schools. He is on the waiting list.

I am appealing for a place and preparing my case. I have a couple of reasons to put forward in my appeal but I need help in deciding what grounds I should focus on and how to do the appeal in a way that increases the chances to win.

1. Non qualification

He scored over 111 (eligibility criteria) but less than what needed to gain a place. Would this still count as non qualification?

I have evidence from school proving his acadamic ability (school report, letters from both class teacher and head teacher)

2. Extenuating circumstances

My son has a younger sibling with a disability. She is non verbal and had a meltdown on the test day (It was Saturday and she was at home). I am single parent and it was very stressful for me and my son. We reached the test centre last minute and all this experience impacted my son's performance.

He scored much higher in Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire when my daugher was at school on the test days.

Will this be good enough ground for appeal? I can provide DLA letter in evidence but unsure if that's useful?

3. I moved to Slough this month due to a new job. I have informed Slough council and provided the required evidence of the move.

Both Upton and Langley grammar schools are within walking distance from my new address. If my son gets admission in any of these school, it would be easier for me to do school runs for my daughter. She goes to a special school in Maidenhead (council has not arranged transport yet).

Should I put all the above grounds in my appeal? Is it better to focus on one of these reasons and build my case around that?

Sorry I am doing this for the first time and would highly appreciate advice and suggestions.

Thank you.