11+ exam review or appeal (special needs)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
yogamum

Re: 11+ exam review or appeal (special needs)

Post by yogamum »

Thank you for this response, I really appreciate the background from a teaching perspective. What can I say? He really did just jump up in his learning. And if you see his writing it's beautiful (curved style but very clear). He recently got another merit for a persuasive piece of work. I can include examples for appeal, though they seem quite discouraging of sending school work, I supoose they could ignore it if they choose to?
FYI my partner works professionally with high social needs children and says slower growth milestones is not uncommon. In our child's case, we are sure he genuinely had a sharp upward turn after some challenges partially due to his SEN needs, but also some personal circumstances, which we felt hindered him in the early school years.
yogamum

Post by yogamum »

Hi if anyone knows the answer to this one? If we are submitting an appeal following an unsuccesful 11+ selection review, do we hear back with an appeal date only if we have shown through our notes the process was not fair, consistent/ objective, as we will be submitting info on this? Or do we get a date for appeal either way, and case for this 'stage one' part is just done in the appeal itself? I can't seem to find the answer on the forum, though it could be I just haven't found it yet!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes you will get an appeal, no decision will be made outside the correct procedures. You are entitled to an appeal & the appeal will decide whether the review was FCO.
scary mum
yogamum

Post by yogamum »

Hi, my appeal is with Buckinghamshire admissions. They have sent me appeal dates, splitting the stages into two parts. The first stage is a group appeal; can I confirm that in this one we listen to the local authority's case and have an opportunity to ask questions. Our specific appeal is directed to stage 2.

We have points to raise specific to our son's case, why we think the selection review was not FCO for example (pointing to particular inconsistencies and omissions) which we originally thought was part of stage 1. Is this appropriate then for stage one as it's a group, or do we save everything specific to him for stage 2?

And of course we will also make the other parts of the case at stage 2 regarding alternative academic evidence, extenuating circumstances and why his needs would be met by the particular school. FYI I have submitted a full written case, which gives all the relevant information.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Stage 1 is definitely a general stage hearing the school's argument and asking general questions - but your specific case and questions relating to your individual appeal are dealt with in stage 2 - there is a little bit about at A7-12 here https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... hp?t=65141
Mock around the clock - £15 off your first mock exam