Offer day 2024

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Oxxyhop

Offer day 2024

Post by Oxxyhop »

Hope you've all had the news you were hoping for this morning.

We've a place at North Halifax :)
teemob

Re: Offer day 2024

Post by teemob »

We got a place at North Halifax - relieved and over the moon!

Hope everyone got good news too.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

delighted to hear you got the places!!
bitingnails

Post by bitingnails »

Congratulations to everyone who got places.

We're hoping for reallocation/ waiting list as found out my DS is only 3 places away at the moment.

Anyone any idea of the level of movement at reallocation at Crossleys / NHGS each year. Apparently they let you know 29th March.

This process as certainly stretched our resilience as a family.

Also noticed that it is going to 510 from 500 in next year's entry which is interesting!

Where ever she goes I'm sure she'll be fine....
Cawood77

Post by Cawood77 »

I had seen the 510 also. They did a big drive this year to showcase both schools, it shows some years people have chosen elsewhere. Do you know what ranking they allocated up to this year? We are thinking about reallocation but not 100% sure where we would be on the list.
bitingnails

Post by bitingnails »

Hi,

I phoned up and got the data from calderdale LA. Currently it is 464 for NHGS and 474 for CH.

I think part of the increase in children doing the test is that some use it as a free mock and have very little intention of going to either school, as well those that like to have lots of options and can go to different areas. This explains somewhat why they have to go so far down the Order of Merit before filling the places. Don't think it means the schools are getting less popular as more children are taking the test - over 1300 this year when a few years ago it used to be 1000.

Also people may put a state school on the CAF before taking the exams for private school, which happen after Oct.

So therefore would still be worth going in for the reallocation even if you're quite far down the list as there may be movement following first allocation. Basically there are some children taking multiple places at different schools so it all works out in the wash.

My DD is 477 so we're keeping our fingers crossed!
Cawood77

Post by Cawood77 »

Ooh thank you for letting me know. I think we will as we haven't got anything to lose.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you - good luck
teemob

Post by teemob »

This all makes a lot of sense as there was indeed a big push this year to "sell" the Halifax schools and put them at the top of the CAFs so they didn't have to go as far down on the order of merit and keep it within the "magic 500".

However this is all positive and optimistic if you are looking at reallocation this year.

All the best to your DCs, they have done extremely well and I think they have a very good chance of a place.

Good luck - fingers crossed! :D :D :D
bitingnails

Post by bitingnails »

Wondering if anyone has got experience of waiting list movement in previous years so I can try to manage expectations.

Even if not, thought it was worth updating this to help future parents navigate the waiting list limbo.

So we're currently 4th on the list and it has moved one place since reallocation at the end of March.

I hadn't realised this at the time but there are multiple children with the same ranking / score.

There are 9 kids with the same rank / score as my DD and the last place comes down to siblings already at the school and proximity.

Can't imagine there are many parents who haven't accepted/ turned down a place by now so it's just those who move out of area.

Guess we'll just wait and see.
bitingnails

Post by bitingnails »

Found out today that we've got a place.

The waiting list process has been rather bruising but so pleased we're now through it. For the benefit of anyone in future years:

- don't forget that the ranking number can change after the results due to the second test in November. We moved down 4 places and I wish I'd confirmed her new rank in writing by email with admissions.
- more than 1 child can have the same rank - there were 9 with the same rank and then it comes down to proximity and siblings that come in to play for the last place
- the waiting list can go down as well as up if there are any late applications. We went down by one place which was really hard
- successful appeals mean that the school goes over PAN and you have to wait for it come down before offers can be made off the waiting list - so basically it makes the WL stall (this only happened with 1 place so not that much of a difference but again another unknown)
- the waiting list didn't move for weeks and I almost gave up hope and then there was a little flurry around May half term
- think carefully about how you manage expectations with your child - we communicated with her early on in March when I found how close her rank was and probably got her hopes up too much which has been a hard few months managing to keep positive about the current school she was at
- it is so close and trying to remember that it is just one answer that is separating many children

phew. right off to celebrate
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now