We have been shortlisted for the National Tutoring Awards 2024! If Eleven Plus Exams has helped you, we would like to ask for your support, by voting for us in the People’s Choice Awards.

Torbay/Churston appeals and waitlists.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Worldsafaris

Torbay/Churston appeals and waitlists.

Post by Worldsafaris »

Our daughter received the dreamed for 3 x yes results in October, meaning that she had performed well enough to apply for all three grammars in the Torbay area. We applied to two of these: Churston and Torquay Girls (TGGS) but have been now informed (in March) that she didn’t get into either and now has a place in the local comp. While all her friends are off to Churston. Feels like an incredibly cruel system and she’s obviously gutted, but I guess that’s the system we’ve got. Has anyone else been in the same situation and do you know how successful the appeal/waitlist system is? We don’t really have many grounds for an appeal but is it worth doing anyway just in case there was a mistake in the marking or place award? Any insights gratefully received.
hermanmunster

Re: Torbay/Churston appeals and waitlists.

Post by hermanmunster »

Welcome to the forum - sorry to hear you didn't get a place at TGGS

Just looking at the admissions policy I see that it score based criteria ie the place are allocated in score order - I presume this means she did not get enough to get a place just yet - the key will be to get info from the school as to what she scored and what the cutoff was - that will give you and idea of where you stand and also they may give you a waiting list position

While on the waiting list you can also appeal - have a read of our FAQ https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advic ... on/appeals - please come back if you have any questions, hopefully things will be a bit clearer when you get some more info
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Looking at a Devon Grammar School thread on another Internet forum, there seems to have been a bit of a 'hiccup' in the allocation process in the area, but things do appear to be getting sorted out now.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Hermum

Post by Hermum »

My child was one of those affected by the mix up in Torbay admissions.
It wasn’t until we rang our first choice Grammar to inquire about their place on the waiting list, that we found out that there had been a mistake and the school had them on the list to start in September!
There are several other known cases of the same scenario this year so It is well worth a phone call to the school to enquire where your child is on the waiting list, you may just get the news we did.
Everone

Post by Everone »

My son had 3 yes's for boys grammar. I was surprised when he didn’t get a place.

I had a e mail to say although he got the selective mark they had lots of out of catchment applications that had higher marks. I hope you get a place in the second round or that you were one of the administration errors. I also know of someone that was told they didn’t have a place at the girls grammar. They rang regarding the waiting list and they had a place so 🤞.
Worldsafaris

Post by Worldsafaris »

A quick update: our DD got into Churston during the second round of intake in April 🥳. So, there is still hope if you don’t get accepted during the first round. It’s been a rollercoaster, but we got there in the end! We were told before this that remarking could not form part of the appeal. So, you just have to proceed on the basis that all was marked correctly and put forward other reasons. Good luck if you find yourselves in a similar position 🤞
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Worldsafaris wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:32 am A quick update: our DD got into Churston during the second round of intake in April 🥳. So, there is still hope if you don’t get accepted during the first round. It’s been a rollercoaster, but we got there in the end! We were told before this that remarking could not form part of the appeal. So, you just have to proceed on the basis that all was marked correctly and put forward other reasons. Good luck if you find yourselves in a similar position 🤞
Congratulations :)

Interesting about the remarking - for at least one of the Essex grammar schools, on being notified of an appeal, a review of the marking used to be (not sure if still is) one of the things that the school did as part of preparation of its case. These are hand-marked papers, though, so no third party to be involved in the process.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Take stock, book a mock