Sutton Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SunM

Sutton Grammar School

Post by SunM »

Hello all,

We have been offered (accepted) WCGS and are on waiting list of Sutton Grammar school. Please can parents share their experience of both the schools or may be help decide if one is better than other or share differences apart from sports.

1. Are the teachers friendly in the schools -
2. Are the schools pushy - is the pastoral care good in both.
3. Are there any major differences or negatives parents are willing to share about the schools -
4. Do boys receive external tutoring in these schools to cope up at A levels ?
5. Any parent regret sending their kids to these schools or if they could go back in time, would have chosen something different

We live in Hampshire and it will be a big relocation for us and I really need genuine views from you all. Please help.. Thank you
mad?

Re: Sutton Grammar School

Post by mad? »

I'm afraid I am not familiar with either school, however, I have commented on some of your questions as I think they are things that should be considered.
SunM wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:14 pm 2. Are the schools pushy - is the pastoral care good in both.
They are grammar schools so will have high expectations of DC who in theory are bright enough to cope well. Whether that is pushy somewhat depends on how well DC are coping - I have heard comments on the school my DC went to about it being both too pushy and too relaxed - this is more a reflection of individual experience and preference/capability IMO, rather than the school itself. Also, none of that is necessarily at the expense of pastoral care, relaxed schools can be as bad at this as any other.
SunM wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:14 pm4. Do boys receive external tutoring in these schools to cope up at A levels ?
If they do, in the main, it will be because of parental pressure/anxiety or DC struggling themselves (sometimes having been nudged by parents to do A levels which might not suit their strengths/interests). In my experience this will not be a school issue (outside exceptional circumstances) but driven by the fears/demands of over invested parents. So, if there is a lot of tutoring, it is generally more likely to be a reflection of the parent community than the school.
SunM wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:14 pm We live in Hampshire and it will be a big relocation for us and I really need genuine views from you all. Please help. Thank you
Gosh, that is a big move, what did you think of the schools when you visited? Do you have any back up plan? They are both good schools, but do think not only about how you, but also about how DC, will adapt to such a big change. Do you have any other DC to consider? I hope you get some answers and wish you the best of luck in your decision making.
mad?
sorcerersapprentice

Post by sorcerersapprentice »

SunM wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:14 pm Hello all,

We have been offered (accepted) WCGS and are on waiting list of Sutton Grammar school. Please can parents share their experience of both the schools or may be help decide if one is better than other or share differences apart from sports.

3. Are there any major differences or negatives parents are willing to share about the schools -
5. Any parent regret sending their kids to these schools or if they could go back in time, would have chosen something different

We live in Hampshire and it will be a big relocation for us and I really need genuine views from you all. Please help.. Thank you
If you haven't already done so, please search the threads in this forum. There have been multiple posts by parents who happen to have kids in both schools.

1. I understand your anxiety but I'm afraid this isn't even an element to be considered when deciding between these two schools.
2, 4 - Depends on the parents' approach to their child's education and the child's ability and interest in keeping up, one would think.
3, 5 - I doubt if you will hear extreme opinions such as the one you seek for one option to be a slam dunk.

The relocation decision, as others have commented, is a larger one and I don't see that related to your choice of specific school in Sutton. It's not as if you feel "less bad" (or) "really good" to have chosen one school vs. the other. Again, I understand the anxiety, but you won't really be making a bad choice / decision - between these two schools regardless of what you end up deciding.

Maybe just ask the child as to which one they prefer :)
travelmum

Post by travelmum »

SunM wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:14 pm Hello all,

Hi

I only have experience of WCGS

The school feel is one of a big family.
The school has a holistic approach. The requirement for homework is that they do their (year group x 10 )minutes each day. There is a big emphasis of doing extracurricular activities and developing well rounded students. We have found their pastoral care second to none.
There are differences in some of the subjects offered. Sutton do football while WCGS do rugby.
4. Do boys receive external tutoring in these schools to cope up at A levels ? None of my son or sons peers have tutoring, but they are not yet at GCSE or A level.
It was my son's first choice of school and we have no regrets sending him there. He is thriving and the school really suits him.

I have no experience of Sutton Grammar, but I have friends with sons in each. They are all really happy with both schools.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now