tenancy agreement for RLS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

vainilesh

tenancy agreement for RLS

Post by vainilesh »

Hi,
I would like to find out how long I should live in the catchment address once child starts attending RLS. The buckinghamshire council website indicates that you should have at least 12 months rental tenancy agreement either of your catchment address or your old address should be rented out for atleast 12 months. The link is as follows, please look in the evidence section.

https://www.buckinghamshire.gov.uk/scho ... ving-home/

Does it mean that I can move back to my previous address after completing 12 months in the catchment property?

Any pointers will be highly appreciated.
Aethel

Re: tenancy agreement for RLS

Post by Aethel »

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to consider whether it is ethical to move into an area specifically to get a priority school place, then deliberately move back to a previous property once the school place is taken up? If that is indeed your intention. Many people just continue to live close to the school they want their DC to go to, if indeed they move in the first place..

The admission authorities do look out for address fraud and over the years have tightened up around this.

Post edited by moderator
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

vainilesh wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 7:46 pm Hi,
I would like to find out how long I should live in the catchment address once child starts attending RLS. The buckinghamshire council website indicates that you should have at least 12 months rental tenancy agreement either of your catchment address or your old address should be rented out for atleast 12 months. The link is as follows, please look in the evidence section.

https://www.buckinghamshire.gov.uk/scho ... ving-home/

Does it mean that I can move back to my previous address after completing 12 months in the catchment property?

Any pointers will be highly appreciated.
Hi Vainilesh and welcome to the forum!

This is a tricky area, sometimes fraught and full of strong views. Reading the rules as they have written them then it looks like you would be able to move back HOWEVER - is this actually practical transport-wise? Is the old / current / future house really that near to RLS to be a reasonable journey.

Despite it looking like the rules and regs allow this, you may well find that the LEA look very very closely at your application and the addresses used - wanting to see that the whole family genuinely did move for the period of time, your child(ren) went to new schools, you registered with a new GP etc etc - There are a great many of similar cases in Bucks each year .

There have been too many cases where one parents nominally lives at the new address for the requisite time - shame it is no longer online but there was a documentary set in Birmingham where a family rented a small flat in catchment area and the admissions office went to visit at 0700 on a school day - of course there was no-one there despite them giving that as their the address - the Admissions Office said "sometimes we just have to help people decide where they really live"
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Apologies to the OP if my response sounded harsh!

The wording makes it sound as if you live far away now, have moved into area just to get the place and fully intend to move out once the place is occupied by your DC .

If you’re moving a few miles rather than 10+ then it won’t make a difference to you, just to the other child who is deprived of a place by your actions and yes it may be within the rules. schools cannot ban people from moving house!

If you’re moving further away back to your pre-existing house then you’re more likely to get judgement and yes, people do sometimes have places removed from their children so you do have to be fully aware of this if you’re trying to play the system deliberaltely. Look on the forum for the parents who have missed out on places by 0.1 mile and see how they feel about the impact on their children.
vainilesh

Post by vainilesh »

My question was to clarify the ambiguity created by the council and the school.

I can see from their website that they changed the admission policy for Sept 2024 students by specifying to move into catchment address before 1st September 2023 which is even before the child appear for the 11+ exam whereas it was 31st october for earlier years i.e. after the entrance exam results.

So they clearly gave a thought for people who move only for admission purpose not for living in the catchment for long term by bringing forward the date to 1st Sept, they should have specified as how long you are expected to live in the catchment area to remove the ambiguity. By adding the clause of atleast 12 months, they have created more confusion and people can say that after 12 months you are free to move whereever you want.

Anyways, I will wait to see what happens for Sept 2024 batch as I have few more months to think about the move for Sept 2025 batch.

But I will question the council regarding this clauses as how it should be interpreted, if they respond to my query.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

vainilesh wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:53 pm
So they clearly gave a thought for people who move only for admission purpose not for living in the catchment for long term by bringing forward the date to 1st Sept, they should have specified as how long you are expected to live in the catchment area to remove the ambiguity. By adding the clause of atleast 12 months, they have created more confusion and people can say that after 12 months you are free to move whereever you want.

I suspect they assume people will stay in the area to make it easier to get to school. the change to Sept 1st was so that the child had a whole year 6 in the new school and also that there was some definite commitment to Bucks Grammars

But I will question the council regarding this clauses as how it should be interpreted, if they respond to my query.
Interesting to see what they say about - agree it needs to be made clear, wouldn't be surprised if they make some comment about moving back to the previous address being grounds to investigate further - who knows?
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Ah, I see what you mean there. Yes, moving it to 1st September does mean you’d have to be renting there before your DC sits the examination. I take it your DC will be sitting the exam in 2025 rather than 2024, then?

I do take your point about ambiguity in that wording : can you post back if you get a response from the council? as I’m sure other posters would be interested to hear what they say about it.

vainilesh wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:53 pm My question was to clarify the ambiguity created by the council and the school.

I can see from their website that they changed the admission policy for Sept 2024 students by specifying to move into catchment address before 1st September 2023 which is even before the child appear for the 11+ exam whereas it was 31st october for earlier years i.e. after the entrance exam results.

Anyways, I will wait to see what happens for Sept 2024 batch as I have few more months to think about the move for Sept 2025 batch.

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now