Which Walsh papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Glos_Mum

Which Walsh papers

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Oh, and I've been reading through all the old posts on the Gloucester board - not recommended if you are of nervous disposition

Those old posts bring back a few memories I can tell you!!

Re the Walsh papers-I have wiped all memory of all the different papers,except that I remember DS found Walsh challenging.I think it was some of the vocab if I remember correctly.Sorry cannot be of more help...

GM
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
staycalm

Which Walsh papers

Post by staycalm »

We've almost used up the NFer papers, so where to go next?
If we used Bright Sparks, or Walsh, should we stick to the relevant 15 question types (am I right that they cover 6 more?)and skip the others?
Any advice for one trying to stay calm about this whole thing would be appreciated.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Hi,

We are doing the Bright Sparks. They do contain the extra 6 but as I used Susan Daughtry for the technique I have given them in the complete form and that way I know if his timing is on track. After the tests I check which types he is getting wrong and don't worry too much if they are not of the first 15 type. I feel the papers are worth doing because it increases his vocabulary knowledge. Also the maths type that won't come up are still worth doing because it is all good mental arithmatic practice.

We have done four and my son did much better in 1 and 3 than 2 and 4. I haven't checked but this may well have something to do with the way the papers are written and where his strenghts and weaknesses lie?

I have to say though I am very new to all this so have no way of knowing yet if what we are doing will be successful.

Probably will get some Walsh because of the vocab and the fact that we are coming to the end of our BS's but would appreciate some extra info on them, re graded for difficulty and which questions they tackle, also?

p.s people do say the Walsh and BS are more difficult than Nfer but I didn't always find that to be the case with my DS as far as BS was concerned.

-Glos mum, huge blip with one of our papers yesterday but kind of feel that it is good to keep my DS on his toes or he gets complacent and makes lazy errors. Going through the paper together tonight he realised what he could have achieved if he hadn't been careless, read lazy in his case grrrh! Just keep counting to ten I suppose and also marking papers when he has gone to bed so I have time to calm down a little before discussing them with him!!!!
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Ordered the Walsh books 1 and 2, multiple choice off this site yesterday and they arrived on doorstep this morning! The do say they can't guarantee keeping the same price and delivery etc on their covering email, when you order, but sure glad I didn't bother going anywhere else.
Jen'smum

Post by Jen'smum »

Hi

We've got the blue Walsh pack. Some of theses papers I think are really difficult. In particular paper 8 which dd did as her practise this morning. I went through it first and only got 77/80 and I'm mature (although obviously it goes without saying still young and chic :wink: ) and have a degree! One of the maths questions kept hubby quiet for 2 or 3 mins and he is a mathematician!

Having said that, I think the odd difficult paper doesn't do harm as long as it doesn't dent your child's confidence. With our dd, it was good for her to experience how it feels when you find lots of the questions difficult. i.e not to panic and to just keep going. Hopefully it won't hit her like a ton of bricks if one or both of the papers is very difficult now. Reiterated that if you find it difficult, most of the other children in the room will be thinking the same thing.

p.s. please don't all post back that you found paper 8 a breeze or I will feel cerebrally challenged! Perhaps I should just leave vr to the kids....
Bring me sunshine ....
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jen'smum

Post by Jen'smum »

Yeh, well ... she should get out more!! :lol:
Bring me sunshine ....