11+ for Sept 2009 - Headington and St Helen & St Katheri

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bramptonmel

11+ for Sept 2009 - Headington and St Helen & St Katheri

Post by bramptonmel »

Hi, Newbie here. My daughter will be sitting 11+ in Jan, and we have just moved into Oxfordshire, so I'm trying to get to grips with schools. We want girls day schools, and have been to look at these two. I wondered if anyone knew how difficult they were to get in? She has v good VR and NVR (scores about 128 - 130), but her maths is pretty awful. We are doing Bond papers, but it isn't really her thing! Should we give up on the idea of either of those, or is it worth a go, is one less competitive than the other etc?

Oxford High I guess is impossible with poor maths.

Any words of wisdom much appreciated. TIA
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Headington - school isn't aggressively selective with about 140 sitting for 90 places. Head doesn't like overly coached children.

St H&K - have large numbers applying from state and preps for only 60 places, but there are openings at age 9 and 10 so you could try and get in now.

Oxford High - seriously over-subscribed at all age groups. If your daughter has an obvious weakness then its unlikely she'll get in, but there's no harm trying.

I have no kids at these schools, but this info is accurate although there's not much of it! :)
bramptonmel

Post by bramptonmel »

thanks very much t.i.p.s.y. very helpful! I've just started her in a new school so too late for the early entry to shsk I'm afraid. I wish I'd known that 6 months ago! oh well.
Headington sounds like the place then...
I wonder what effect this mad economic situation we have got ourselves into is going to have on applications to these sorts of places. I know apps to boarding schools will certainly fall, I wonder if the day schools will or if they'll be buoyed up by applicants who would otherwise have gone for the more expensive boarding option?

Interesting times.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Its funny you should mention the cc. We had decided against trying for grammar school in the last week but tonight we were discussing it again based on whats just happened in the markets! :? Are you in catchment for any of the Reading or bucks grammars?
teacher

Post by teacher »

Just to add to the questions! My daughter's at Oxford High and it is great. Her maths was not so great when she started; they really do look at the individual and that is why the selection process is so lengthy. Lots of questioning, especially with the maths interview and so even if answers are wrong they can see where the child is 'coming from'. (In our case the local village primary) It could be due to insufficient knowledge in particular areas especially if her if NVR is good.
Good luck!
bramptonmel

Post by bramptonmel »

oh tipsy I'm so sorry not to spot your reply, I've been working v hard and in between times doing some maths tutoring with my daughter :D
no we aren't in catchment for any grammars - firmly in oxon I'm afraid, west of ox itself.
teacher, I'm glad your daughter is doing so well at ox high. I just can't see my daughter there, I tend to decide these things on gut feel!