Questions to ask at schools...

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
medwaymum

Questions to ask at schools...

Post by medwaymum »

Having read the sticky on this subject I agree there are some great questions in there however I would like to urge a caution with respect to one of the questions listed:

Ask pupils what levels they are in subjects.

I actually don't agree with this as this is rather personal and think it is crossing the line somewhat. My dd is going to be showing parents around her new school in November and I would not be happy for her to reveal her grades to nosey parkers!! There are nothing wrong with her levels but I don't want her to walk around like some sort of label "Hello my name is **** and I am a level ***"
Perhaps a better idea would be to ask this question of the teachers in individual subjects?
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

I tend to agree with this sentiment-my DS helped at the Open Evening last night and I wouldn't be happy for him to have answered that question!

Definitely a question for the teachers!

GM
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I agree with that thought - a direct question about levels should be for the teachers.

A more appropriate question for a pupil might be "Are you happy with your Levels in English, Maths and Science?"

If the answer is no, the follow-up question would be to ask what the pupil feels the school should be doing to help them achieve better levels.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I think it's an appalling suggestion that people should ask students showing them around schools what levels they are at. It's none of their business! They should stick to questions about the school and ask the student their opinions on things which they can choose to answer in as much or as little detail as they think appropriate. My Y9 son is acting as a guide the week after next - I might now say to him that he shouldn't feel under any obligation to divulge personal information. I might suggest that, if anyone is rude enough to ask his levels, he should just laugh and say, "oh, level 8 in everything....!" :lol:
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

My 2 sons helped out at their school's Open Evening and I don't think any of the visitors (children and parents) wi11 even remember their faces.

There is so much to take in and so many departments to see. Even if you go on a Day visit, I don't feel it is intrusive at a11 if asked politely.

I love science and so work very hard on it and last year got a Level 7.

My English teacher is fantastic and we do so many different things in cla55, not just written work and I achieved a level 7 for my SATS.

I struggle with Maths because it's not my best subject. I am so happy I got level 7 this year.Most of the class are on level 7, there are a few level 8s and 2 on high level 6.

My boys love showing off their school and are not fazed at a11 about their subject levels. They are not bri11iant at every single subject and are not worried about disclosing their marks or levels.

If you are acting as a guide bringing groups of parents and children around, it helps for them to see that if a student works hard, you wi11 attain your best levels.

My kiddos have never seen it to be intrusive when asked that question and they have been asked that many times..
After a11, the point of having a pupil show you around is to get a feel of how the school is teaching, encouraging and helping that particular child succeed.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I don't agree at all. The point of looking around a school is to get a feel for the school and to find out how the school is performing, not an individual child. Exam results are readily available at all schools. Most children probably wouldn't mind being asked, mine included, but I think it's inappropriate and intrusive to ask a direct question about a student's levels. Some children will be unhappy disclosing their levels and it's unfair and unnecessary to risk making them feel uncomfortable.

Bexley Mum 2 wrote: The point of looking around a school is to get a feel for the school and to find out how the school is performing
the point of having a pupil show you around is to get a feel of how the school is teaching, encouraging and helping that particular child succeed.
There are 2 separate things happening here.

A11 I wi11 add is that if any child is helping out on Open Days and does not feel like divulging info, then it is up to him/her to politely refuse.

edit:
the fact that my sons feel they are able to divulge this 'sensitive' info is that they feel comfortable with whatever they have attained under their own steam with the school's teaching.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Its not that I think my daughter would mind disclosing her levels at all, its more I feel that its labelling and putting children into neat little boxes/categories, rather than individuals.

For example. "Thats Jessica, she's year 7, level 6 in math, level 5 in english. This is Bob, he's year 9, level 6" ..... etc etc...

I believe in challenging the children to achieve their best in everything. I just don't like the idea that children are 'labelled' with these levels. I think they should be for reports and parents evenings really, and obviously for teachers who need a benchmark to measure their achievements.

Although I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion... :)

I am intrigued by what you feel as labe11ing, medwaymum.

That's Joseph, he's the best trumpet player the orchestra ever had.

That's Sam..he's the main prop for the rugby team.

That's Maisy.She turns out the best dishes at Home Economics.

Are these considered 'labe11ing remarks' as we11? :?
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Hi LBSWM. I don't feel your examples are labelling, they are very personal individual descriptions of the individuals, not numbers of levels they have reached. I can't really explain it any other way, I just feel that its ok to say
"thats Sarah, she's the best singer in the choir"
rather than
"thats Sarah, level 5 in math, level 6 in eng"
It just seems very impersonal and unneccesary for prospective parents viewing the school to know. My dd's math teacher tells the children their levels they get in tests etc. and the kids aren't fazed. I just don't see why parents would feel the need to ask individual levels of children showing them round.

Sorry for rambling :)