English Paper For Essex

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jessmum

English Paper For Essex

Post by jessmum »

Can anyone tell me what the format of the English paper is for the 11+ in Essex is please - I know its "standard" format regarding the layout (i.e not multiple choice!) but is there a section for writing a piece of work as well as Comprehension? Cant seem to find the answer anywhere but I know someone on here will know!

Thanks
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

Hi, Jessmum

From the CSSE past papers , there is always a comprehension with questions to answer. The standard of the English paper is usually quite high. There is also a section for grammar work such as correct punctuations. There is no composition as I can remember

The best suggestion is to purchase a past paper from the CSSE and you can have some ideas what the English paper looks like.

If you Google CSSE Essex, you should be able to find the website or contact number. Hope this helps.
jessmum

Post by jessmum »

Thank you thats really helpful!
moved

Post by moved »

The comprehension is tough, usually an A level text. The children are expected to read and extrapolate from the text. The word section tests their understanding of words. Point to the part of speech for this, i.e. an adverb ends in ly, find the ly word in the text.

The punctuation is normally direct speech and as such quite easy, they can learn very mechanically how to answer these. In the last few years however this section has been reduced to 6-8 marks.

Initially these papers fill the children with horror, but they do get used to them. Bond Assessment Papers More 11+-12+ and 12+-13+ texts are useful. But they don't need the second half of these exercises.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now