explain the scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ann3

explain the scores

Post by ann3 »

Just wondered if anyone can explain the scores for the Berks exam to me.

As I understand it they have two papers of 80 questions so 160 questions and they have to score 111 to pass - let's worry about places later.

So that would be just under 70% but surely thats too good to be true.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Hi Ann3,

Welcome to the forum.

I take it you are referring to the Langley/ Herschel/ St Bernards consortium exam.
The 111 is referring to the standardised score. Both tests will be marked and each given a standardised score. Then the average will be found. If the average is then above the standardised score of 111 then the child has passed. NEXT....
Places at the schools are then allocated according to each schools own criteria. e.g Langley will offer places initially to the top 145 scores out of the 1000+ children who sat the exam and who placed Langley as first choice on the Common Admissions Form and the Consortiums admissions form. Therefore as previous years have revealed, your child has actually got to score above 120 (standardised) to gain an actual place, which will put them in the highest 145 places.

The following may be of help....

Sandardised scores

Berkshire Grammars information

Also Lots of information can be found by reading back through the Berkshire threads. If you have any other specific queries, please let us know. Someone is usually about to help.

:D

BW
ann3

Post by ann3 »

79 - 111

Thanks for replying - have looked at the links re the standarised scores hopefully my little girl is brighter than me coz I am confused.

Her birthday is in June so she will be 10 + 5 months (well nearly) on day of exam.

So to score 111 she should score 79% across the two papers?

Tests done at home today within time she scored 78% on NVR & 83% on VR should I be pleased or worried.

We are looking at St Bernards does this make a difference, we are catholic and have leter from priest etc.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

The link to the Standardised score explanation, only shows an example illustration. The 79 shown in the example illustration relates to the raw score and is not the percentage, I'm afraid. This example could be for a maths or VR paper. Also different grammars have different tests. Some will give a VR paper with 85qs, whilst others may have papers with 100 or 80qs.

The scores would vary for different exams. It depends on the number of children sitting the exam, their ages and the average spread of scores across that test, as to how the standardisation would be done for each individual paper.

Here is another explanation from NFER, may make more sense. :D

NFER Standardised score explanation

More information re: Slough Grammars' admissions can be found on the Sticky at the top of this forum.

This thread has some info re:St B's, but it was when there were 3 tests to sit, so things may be slightly different now.

Slough Grammars' admissions

HTH

:D

BW
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now