which papers now?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BLANCA

which papers now?

Post by BLANCA »

Hello all

hope all in counties are now having fun and relaxing!

we are still waiting, but are running very low on practice tests, I was wondering if learning lab is ok to use, We stopped doing full length test in favour of short papers and chunks of walsh which is great for learning but we did a full length test last night and didnt finnish in time, so i really want to get the speed back

any suggestions most welcome & sorry to bring up dreaded 11+ just when you have finished!

many thanks

blanca
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Blanca

We're all partying away here on this side of the border! :lol:

Learning Labs are OK to use. They cover the 21 types and are of a good standard. I don't like the layout - too large for my taste, but that's just a personal view.

Good luck and fingers crossed!

S-A
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

thanx Sally-Anne

party on! you all really deserve it after all that hard work and worry. Cant wait to join the festivities over this side!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Blanca

Agree with Sally-Anne on Learning Lab. I prefer to use them [if I do] as session times.

I would personally reuse Bright Sparks. They are closer to the test in layout and difficulty. Your child is not going remeber the answers from just one visit.

Patrica
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

Thank you Patricia

I will get hold of some more bright sparks as well. dd is really 11 plused out and has just about had enough. any ideas to get us through the next couple of weeks? I do keep saying not long now it will soon be over but this line is wearing very thin with her. I think if I say it one more time she may pack her bags and leave home!
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hello Blanca

I haveto say my dd got a bit worn out from it all towards the last couple of weeks. We did lost of word practice and I got her to do little bits of question sheets she had done sometime before.

Certainly glad its over and have actually just this minute given dd the task of putting all the old papers in the recycle box which she was pleased to have done. Secretly I'm glad too to be rid of them as if I left them in eyeshot I would keep looking at them, analysing and checking etc and at the end of the day the tests are done now so no point, can't change anything. Just keeping everything crossed and trying not to think too much about it from now on in.

Mel x
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

Hi Mel

glad its all over for you and yes I will keep everything crossed for all of us!!

dd is keeping her books until november 5th when we will be going to an 11+ book burning party.

do the children just stop thinking about it once the test is out of the way or does it play on thier minds just like us?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Blanca

Now you have said that she is "all 11-plussed out", I suggest that you focus only on the problem question types.

Use the Learning Labs papers, mark out the types that she finds difficult and focus solely on those. Simply watch her work, question by question.

Are both hands working? Where is the pencil? Time her yourself secretly by counting the time for each question roughly in your head, rather than using an electronic timer. Watch what she is doing and give her confidence boosting tips afterwards. If she is dreadfully over the "30 seconds per question limit", deal with it, but otherwise, try to ignore a few seconds variation. These are the questions that she finds hardest, after all!

I think that would be better than more full practice papers at this stage, unless she is having timing problems.

I would also remind her how little she has left to do before it is all over, and what the treat will be after the second test! :D

S-A
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

Will do

Some days are better than others but it is usually the odd silly maths mistake and compound words that get her although the codes in the tutors 15 minutes level 4 tutors have proved a bit too much for her.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now