Nfer Nelson Paper 11A - help on 5 questions please :-)

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

za1

Nfer Nelson Paper 11A - help on 5 questions please :-)

Post by za1 »

I am struggling with 5 questions on here and would be grateful if someone could offer some help before I pull all my hair out!!

The questions are :

a) section 2 question 9

b) Section 3 , question 10

c) Section 3, question 11

d) Section 5, question 11

e) Section 5, question 12

Thanks for any help.
Dans mum

Post by Dans mum »

a) section 2 question 9 the answer is b the semi circle swaps position with the other shape ,the other shape as to rotate so that two of its triangles point up and are black.

hope that helps. will get back to you on the others when i can work out the pattern
za1

thanks

Post by za1 »

Thanks Dans Mum
za1

Help

Post by za1 »

Actually - I am still puzzled. Section 2 : Question 9. In the 1st sequence, there are 4 triangles - 2 black and 2 white. The shape flips over and the black triangles change positions. In the 2nd sequence, there are just three triangles - I am unsure why the answer includes 2 black triangles. The assumption can be that the triangles changed positions in the 1st sequence.
za1

Post by za1 »

Ignore the last email......I am looking at it wrong. The shading 'flips'. So the white ones become black and the black ones become white. I was looking at it wrong - I was looking at the shaded triangles 'moving'.
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Hello 11+squad

Please help me :cry:

I had a real 11A crisis today. Among a lot of other questions, ds got the following wrong and I just cant fiigure them out:

Section 5: Q4, Q10, Q11 and Q12.

Can someone help me?
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

JaysDarlin,

Here is my take on these questions...

Section 5: Q4
The only logic I can think is that there are 4 squares in both the pictures. So I would first choose a picture which has 4 squares in it. C is the only one that satisfies both the pictures in the question.

Section 5: Q10
Two logics to work out the answer.
1) If you rotate one arrow that crosses the other they both coincide perfectly.
2) The crossing arrows are of same size.

So, C and D are possible but if you rotate the arrows in D they don't overlap correctly. So C is the answer.

Section 5: Q11
Two logics:
1) Must be a horizontal base
2) The shading lines are not parallel to the diagonal line.

C and D can be shortlisted. But D satisfies the above logics.

Section 5: Q12
The logics:
1) 4 lines in between.
2) A shape on each side

Probable ones are B and C. We can't take B because it is the same outer shape as that of the one in the question but the internal shapes are different. So it must be C

Hope this helps.
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Gilly,

Thanks for all of that! You are clever!

Im still confused by the last one though, q12. You wrote:
Probable ones are B and C. We can't take B because it is the same outer shape as that of the one in the question but the internal shapes are different. So it must be C
But why cant we take B. So what if it is the same shape as the one in the question. It's upside down. Does it really matter?
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

You can consider B, though it is upside down, but we have no clue here to say that a white rectangle goes along with a dark circle. This is the case with B.

That's why I would choose C because the outer shape is a new one and has the required number of lines to match the ones in the question and has its won internal shapes rule.

That's what I think.

Gilly
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Yes you're right Gilly. Thanks for your logical explanations!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now