Tiffins open day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

richmond

Tiffins open day

Post by richmond »

Went along this morning and impressed with head and staff I saw (not buildings or facilities). Got talking to a mum who recommended the Tutor her DD was using. I rang tutor who will see my dd after xmas for an assessment to see if suitable (said she should be due to her present school). However I know nothing about this tutor although she says tutors kids with her daughter and has done for many years and suggested dd get her book on VR (with animal print cover). How does one choose? I received no replies from my last email asking for recommendations (by pm) so guess no one likes to recommend?

Any help appreciated.
SunlampVexesEel

Re: Tiffins open day

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

richmond wrote:said she should be due to her present school
Must be a good school!

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
richmond

Post by richmond »

Its regarded as such - a girls only selective in Hampton.
geling

Post by geling »

Hi, Richmond, it is Geling again! To be frank, I send you a "not short" private message to recommend the tutur, but, I haven't got your reply since, so, it must be lost? :roll: strange? I sent it on the day of your require. I think I know the tutor your freind recommended to you. It is a coincident she is the one I want you to try as well. ( Her book : Tiger stripy cover is the clue.) She is popular and does nothing but sending boys or girls to Tiffin. However, I would like to call all of your attention: The more famous tutor, the bigger the class size. In this case, individual attention to each of the students is comprimised! And the tutur is always too busy to have a nice chat with you about your child's progress weekly because at the same time while you are waiting for her , the 5 other parents are wait as well ! However, the parents will be given "the near the fact" guessing at the end of the tutoring year: the chance of your child getting into Tiffin. Oh, BTY, your child has to pass her initial assenment on VR. Bond papers would help to do this.
Rosette

Post by Rosette »

Hello Richmond.

I was told by stripy tutor over a year ago that her waiting list for those taking 11+ in 2009 was closed!

But then I am from the state sector! Creaming off the best of the private sector obviously boosts the success rate and I imagine the waiting list for such students is never closed.

Everyone in Kingston (and for miles beyond) has heard of this tutor and I guess it's the years of experience that count.
Rosette
richmond

Post by richmond »

Thanks for replies.

Geling - I had not thought to ask about class size so something to consider if my dd taken on.
I did not receive your pm - not sure why. Everything seems ok on my personal email side. If you have a copy could you try to send it again? Many thanks anyway for your response. Thanks for mentioning Bond - have not seen those so will take a look in waterstones during my lunch hour.

Rosette - I guess I am not surprised that this could be the case if this tutor wants to keep her stats high, but seems unfair. I did not realise that she has a reputation - it has not spread to Hampton as far as I know, but tutors seem to be kept a mystery for some reason! Thanks for your response. I will see how it goes in December with her initial assessment as to whether I am impressed.
geling

Post by geling »

Hi, Richmond: Bond assessment papers can be bought everywhere: WHsmith, Waterstone or Books, etc. Tiffin uses the Mutilple choice version of " Nfer Nelson" type . ( Practise Bond paper first.)
BTY, I have been to Tiffin Girl yesterday morning at arount 11:30, sitting at the row first right. :roll: Yes, qiute agree with you : impressed by the head teacher but not the building.

I don't mind trying to send you another PM, no problem at all, but, you seemed already phoned her ? "Stripy tutor"? Hope we are talking the same one? Yesterday, in front of Tiffin Girl's entrance, there was a well groomed Asian ladies ( she is a tutor for VR and Non VR) who distubuted her leaflets to the passing parents...... When I was out 2 hours later, she was still there, oh, what an effort! I am sure that Stripy Author don't bother to do this. She told me that she is based in Richmond and she seems very nice and polite.
richmond

Post by richmond »

Hi Geling thanks for that. I went to the 9.40 tour which was pretty busy. Did not notice anyone outside distributing leaflets but a good idea to get some business!

Thanks for details re bond - do you already have a child at Tiffins?
geling

Post by geling »

Hi, Richmond: Yes, my boy Year 7 at Tiffin. Please read my thread "Tiffin boy Waiting List 2008 " which I created this Spring and you will know my " heartbreaking process but good ending story." :roll:
richmond

Post by richmond »

Hi geling - managed to read through your post - what a rollercoaster but you got your DS through in the end! A lovely positive tale to read.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now