Will schools give actual marks on the 20th or 21st?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tired_dad_2008

Will schools give actual marks on the 20th or 21st?

Post by tired_dad_2008 »

For many parents in this competitive part of Kent (particularly those living in a "bad" area for a standard grammar school) I am guessing that the pass/fail letter from the LEA is going to be a bit of an irrelevance and what they really need to know is the actual marks achieved to give them some idea about whether their child can get into one of the non-geographic/ "super selective" grammar schools. I understand that these marks will only be obtainable from the school rather than being in the LEA letter.

Has anyone's school indicated to them yet when and how they can actually get the marks? I don't really want to be part of a queue of parents at the school office on Tuesday morning but nor do I want my child to lose the letter in his school bag on the way home on Monday (if that's the way the head decides to do it).

I would think there is an argument that since the results are released by the LEA on the Monday we should be allowed to get the marks then from the Heads. Obviously, the Heads know them already, so there wouldn't be any logistical difficulties in them handing them to parents on Monday evening. Our post in this part of the county doesn't arrive till noon...

TD
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

We are on half term next week so our head has given us her direct line phone number to get the scores from Monday.

My DH is at home next week so I think that's a job for him!

I wonder how early she will be in? I want to visit Wilmington boy's on Monday morning but I don't want to get home afterwards and discover he failed!
Gercha

Post by Gercha »

Hi Tired_dad_2008

We're in that "bad" area for grammar schools, our local grammar being the super selective. I spoke to our Headmistress yesterday and she assures me she will hand out an envelope with my ds scores in next Tuesday. As you say, the scores are important to me as just a pass is not necessarily enough!!
tired_dad_2008

Post by tired_dad_2008 »

Just spoke to our school office who say they will tell us scores if we phone them next Tuesday morning. But we have a parents' evening before then, so I may try to get some hints from the Year 6 teacher....
Gercha

Post by Gercha »

I bet you the year 6 teacher won't give you any clues!!! They'll make you sweat like everyone else until Tuesday!! But hey give it a go, you never know. Good luck.
ergo

Post by ergo »

Our head has told me that we will be given scores at school on Tuesday. I was anxious that as some children may get their results before going to school, (our post arrives any time from 11 to 3pm) my child might be tempted to ask the teacher who I presume would know by Tuesday morning. I don' really want her teacher to tell her at school because if it is bad news she might be upset, especially if the others passed.

I would rather prepare her at home and if it is good news, I wouldn't want her to be delighted if others in the class haven't got what they wanted. Not sure how we'll play it, but it would be a lot easier if parents were given results on Monday night so that they can tell their children in the privacy of their own home rather than in the school playground. As it is, I am sure some children will know their results before they get to school so you can't avoid the 'news' getting out before they get home on Tuesday evening if you don't want to tell them at school.

Last year one of my child's friends didn't pass but as we knew the results the night before going to school, we could tell the children not to talk about it too much in front of this child when they actually got to school which was a better way of handling it. Roll on next week.
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

For the last couple of years, children at our school have been told by text on the Monday night so I am hoping that is what will happen this time but as yet we are still none the wiser. I am sure the schools don't want hordes of agitated children all day Tuesday awaiting results nor do they want the job of telling the ones who haven't made it the bad news and mopping up the tears etc.

I just don't get why they cannot make a policy decision about how to release the results and then let parents know well in advance. I have to go to work on Tuesday but our post does not arrive until about 11 at the earliest and often not until after lunch. I have been in two minds whether to book the day off (but I only work part time and really don't want to lose a day's holiday if not needed).

They (schools) don't like to make it easy for working parents (which let's face it by the time most children are Y6, most mums are working in some way or another). Surely it would be easier on them as the office/deputy HM/class teachers must be being asked ten times a day whether we are going to get a text.

Anyway no nails left here so shall have to start on teh chocolate - oh dear!
wardie

Post by wardie »

My DS's school have made a policy ( I know because I asked) and that is ;
Wait until you have the letter confirming one way or the other and then phone / pop in to get the scores.

I don't think any school do anything else.

I personally would not like bad news on a text. I would like to digest it and compose myself before seeing son.

Let's be honest it makes no difference to the result and the kids should not be stressed out - is it not our job as a parent to do the stressing and keep things cool and chilled for the kids? My DS only knows the result is due next week. ( if the other kids don't tell him.)

Good luck to all and I will post on Tuesday the result. *** (fingers crossed till then)