AWAITING KIDS EXAM RESULTS AND NOT FEELING MYSELF.....

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ambridge

AWAITING KIDS EXAM RESULTS AND NOT FEELING MYSELF.....

Post by Ambridge »

Ok, the thread is up and running.....

Back in those carefree days of 2006, JuliaB wrote this corker of a daily rundown as she was waiting for her sons' results to arrive.

We have moved on big time since then, JuliaB, if you are still reading these threads as a voyeur, we can beat you with neuroticism and paranoia hands down :lol:

Get up at dawn or earlier, stare out of window for couple of hours. Think about how suddenly it gets light. Make tea. Forget to drink it. Think about going back to bed when first child appears scratching head and put kettle on again. Put on clothes that might match or not. Nail smile on face and act like domestic goddess. Make haphazard packed lunches as can't concentrate (why didn't I get another loaf out of freezer last night) Forget who likes coleslaw and who doesn't. Empty dishwasher, mutter about how rubbish it is at washing dishes. Take children to school. Wave 11+ candidate off cheerily. Sit in car with glazed expression until all other cars gone. Somehow make it home. Examine mat for indication of post. Consider cigarette. Remember stopped smoking about 10 years ago. Give serious thought to going to corner shop for supplies. Decide against in case miss post. Collect cold tea from kitchen. Sit on the edge of the stairs clutching cup staring at letterbox for 5 hours. Only answer phone to husband, no of course it hasn't bl++++ come yet. Get fed up, drive up and down local streets looking for postman. Get back in time to see postman is further up our street than our house. Retrieve envelope from pile of somerfield adverts and a leaflet about garden clearance that needs the grammar correcting. Clasp magic envelope to chest. Hold for approx one hour and drive back to school to collect pale and anxious child. Drive home in complete silence apart from saying it's here. Arrive home. Husband pacing floor in hall where is it, I can't believe you took it with you to school. Present child with envelope.......Pray.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

When the day came when we thought we would receive Ed's results from Rugby...

I was awake from 6 am and could not get back to sleep. So I went downstairs and began my window vigil. Our post person never comes before 11, but there I sat from 6...

It was a cold February morning and I sat shivering with both nerves and coldness. Ed had another independent school interview that morning which my husband prepared him for as I was fit for nothing!!! I sat...sat some more...continued sitting, shaking, deep nervous breathing, crossing legs rather than leave my vigil for a comfort break.

I was absolutely beside myself...the postman had not come. I had several billion times walked down the path and looked in both directions for the tell tale red van. Nothing.

I then decided to drive around the village.I started looking down all the side streets, then widened my search to the surrounding villages. Nearly in tears I stopped at the post office to be told that he had delivered HOURS ago.

In my head I was thinking of all the things I could possibly do to track down THE LETTER.

When husband and Ed got home I was incoherent which nearly caused a row. I was incapable of normal conversation or indeed talking at a normal pitch. The best I could do was screech at husband to get in car and go to the sorting office.

After some slight 'persuasion', he went off in his car - shouting that I was a 'mad woman' if I recall correctly (MOI??)

Less than 2 minutes later he returned...he had spotted the postman. It transpires that he does HALF the village at about 9, goes round all the other little villages, then completes the circle by doing my half twenty thousand hours later (well, it felt that long!)

I had to be physically restrained to stop me tearing down the path at him as his route is to go past our house first, start at the end of the street, then double back...ggrrrrr!

Finally IT plopped through the letterbox and...it was too small!
We knew that we should expect an A4 sized envelope if it was good news...
So it was a rejection then?

I was near to tears, we rushed to Ed, stood either side of him like guards ready to mop his tears and placate him.
It didn't exactly say what we were hoping for...but it wasn't a rejection either...

It was offering a place, but the acceptance of the place by us was wholly dependent upon Ed being offered a ridiculously large bursary and scholarship.

We though we were done and dusted, but it seemed that the poor boy had a final hurdle - an interview with the Deputy Head.
It was so disappointing to not have a definitive knowledge that we COULD send him there, that it took a good few minutes to realise that he at least had been offered a place!

That was the worst day of my life. A complete emotional rollercoaster which, at the time, ended extremely flatly as he had more hoops to jump through.

And now I have to go through it again next year with my lovely daughter.
We must all love our children so much to put ourselves through this experience!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Ed's mum, can you stop typing such drivel - you are sending me to sleep. No one cares! :roll:

Umbridge, have I ever told you how wonderful you are? :lol:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

To paraphrase someone very wise...

If you are disinterested by the thread, don't read it!!! :mrgreen:
You know I love you really
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Next you'll be talking about where to buy a lunch box with built in radiator! :roll: (Wuv you too)
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Next you'll be talking about where to buy a lunch box with built in radiator! :roll: (Wuv you too)

naaaah, just buy them those little hand warmers, then they can break the icicles off their noses and carry on eating :lol: :lol:

I can just see me now, driving down the motorway Saturday morning, the phone ringing with DD's results, DH driving trying to tell me how to answer it (his mobile, I hate them) and me turning it off instead of answering it duhhhhh!! - how I wish we hadn't lost his connectivity to the blue tooth device last week, I've been meaning to take it to the garage to get them to reconnect it but haven't had the time (too busy on here!!)

Am I boring you all yet? :twisted: :lol:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

zzzzzzzzzz..."did somebody say something...no?"...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Shall we ask a Mod very politely if they will delete all of our extra messages so we don't clutter up this thread with rubbish? Then we can just have a series of funny stories about how nuts we are/were.
That okay with everyone??
Mod??? We need you!!!
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

When Mod deletes last few posts, can they also wrap around my first post (or tell me where I went wrong) so that all the other potential entries don't end up A1 size - sorry for not doing it correct in the first place.

Ambridge x
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Ambridge, I think it's that naughty Tipsy being so bored by my message and falling asleep with all those zzzzzz's which made the thread widen its girth somewhat. Once the mods remove our boring additions, it should revert to normal. (if we can ever be described as normal :shock: )
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now