Combined scoring system this year!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

EKmum

Combined scoring system this year!

Post by EKmum »

I have heard (from a very good source) that this year the Kent test will be scored differently. In previous years the child would have to pass 2 parts of the test and the third mark could be slightly lower, but this year all three scores are to be added together and the child will automatically pass with a combined score of 360 or over. Do you think this sounds better or not? :?
SHELBELLE

Post by SHELBELLE »

EKMUM

That would mean an average of 120 per paper, which going by last year is higher as it was 120, 120, 115.

IMO it looks like it may be harder to get a pass this year!!!

Anyone else like to enlighten me??

Thanks

S.B.X
Janedingdong

Post by Janedingdong »

A combined score would be good for those who struggle with one of the three types.

For example a score of 135 (pass), 135 (pass) and 114 (fail) would have been a fail before but now would be a pass on a combined 384 score.

My daughter who struggles with maths but excels in VR and NVR would benefit from this.
SHELBELLE

Post by SHELBELLE »

JANE

I hadn't thought of it that way...so thank you.

My DS is stronger on the maths so it may well benefit him, we will see on Tuesday.

S.B.X
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

i had heard from a parent that this was happening, but haven;t had confirmation. It would be an advantage for those who find a particular subject more difficult.
dadoftwo

Post by dadoftwo »

I heard the same, total combined 360 pass score, but I also heard that there was a minimum pass of 114 in any subject.

I guess we will find out for sure on Tuesday!
shuff

Post by shuff »

I think you are right, combined score but with a passmark for each paper, but that wouldn't make any difference to previous years surely!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

true, I can see the minimum mark makes teh difference, oh well not long until we find out!!
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

It is apparently made to help children from "socially disadvantaged schools" who are very unlikely to have had any help over the summer holidays, let alone any tutoring. The idea is that NVR (and to a lesser extent VR) is dependent much more on innate intelligence. Lots of children thought that the maths paper was easier this year (maybe because we have all crammed hard maths into our children but maybe it was easier deliberately) and that VR and NVR were harder.

I was talking to a grammar head who was worried that teh change to the exam being just after the long summer break would mean the school would get more less intelligent heavily coached private school pupils at the expense of brighter "poor" state school pupils so maybe this is one reason why the marking system was changed. I also heard (from a teacher at another GS) that the aggregate this year is 360 (which is higher than say 118 118 118) and that you have to get a minimum of 114 in each paper.

We have finally been told that we will be texted at 7.30am on Tuesday morning - gulp!
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Twellsmum - interesting. The head at my sons' school thinks that NVR is the one where coaching can make the biggest difference. He says he can spot the heavily-coached kids from the local prep school because their highest scores are in NVR. Who knows! :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now