Common Admission Form - Order of Preferences

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
whattodo

Common Admission Form - Order of Preferences

Post by whattodo »

Hi This is my first posting on the forum and was delighted to find this site through google!!

My daughter was unsuccesful in the altrincham girls grammar test exam and I will be appealing against that in November.

My dilemma is what order of preference to put on the common preference form. I live in warrington but the only schools I am interested in are in Trafford or Liverpool.

I have spoken to the two schools in liverpool and they have told me that if I do not put their school as a first preference ( even though my daughter achieves their passing score), she will most certainly not get in. The difficulty is that the results for the liverpool schools will not be out till after the closing date of the common admission forms.

I feel this is much like picking the lotto numbers. I desperately need some good advice on what to do. Also, there is the added stress of going to appeal for the score in the Alty girls test and am wondering if I should put Altrincham girls as the first preference( dont really know what the appeal's success chances are) and whether that will jeopardise my daughter getting into the other two schools as they would be second and third choice.

Any insight or advice will be appreciated!!

P.S. The post on altrincham girls appeals was very helpful indeed!!
Wallasey

Post by Wallasey »

I'm not from your area but am fairly sure that the rules apply to all. If your daughter puts a school down that she doesn't get into, the second school automatically becomes the first choice school. The schools in Liverpool aren't giving you the right information in this case.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

I don't think the Liverpool schools are giving you the right advice either. Try this thread and look for the post by WP who sets it out really well

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=7504

So say you go for 1. Alty Girls in Trafford LEA, 2. Liverpool School 1, 3 Liverpool 2 and 4, local banker school in Warrington LEA, then each of the 4 schools get your details (but no ranking) and each notifies Warrington of its decision based on everyone who has applied to them.

Warrington then picks the highest ranked school on your list that will give you an offer and gives you that offer.

Since your situation is unusual (ie 3 LEAs) why don't you talk to one of the LEA officers listed in the CAF booklet for Warrington just to get their view. I think there is a lot of bad info being bandied around this year because the system has changed and not a loot of people seem to know (including, worryingly, the schools!)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The new Admissions Code is absolutely clear:

Prohibition of unfair oversubscription criteria
2.13 In setting oversubscription criteria the admission authorities for all maintained
schools must not:
b) give priority to children according to the order of other schools named as
preferences by their parents, including ‘first preference first’ arrangements;
Etienne
whattodo

Post by whattodo »

thank you all..the answer were a great help.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now