Dartford; explain ranking system

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
angel

Dartford; explain ranking system

Post by angel »

Hi - does anyone know anything about how Dartford boys will rank each pupil and what mark they would need to have achieved in the test. This question concerns me as we live out of the borough. In our borough there are no really good schools, and the one I would consider is on the other side of the borough.

How do you rank the top hundred boys and is this something one could surmise from the results on Tuesday?
angel

Post by angel »

and what percentage does 140 represent?
angel

Post by angel »

also cam=n someone tell me please what percentage does a pass mark of 140 represent. My partner have been having a dispute he says after reading the Judd schools admission criteria, that the common pass mark if 140 for all kent children, whereas I read the 50% of children who sit and pass the Judd school test will achieve 140 - 420 (3 papers)l, is that 75% plus on each paper (or combined). Many Thanks
One Down

Post by One Down »

Hi Angel,
The Judd website can be a little confusing as it says that 140 is the [/i]most common [/i]individual score in Kent, not the average score. It only means that more children scored 140 than 129,114,106 or any other individual score.If you look at the NFER website, you can see why this happens
http://www.nfer.co.uk/research-areas/as ... sation.cfm
All the individual scores in Kent produce a bell curve like the one on the NFER site, with 100 as the average score. The reason there are more individual 140 scores than 100 scores is that, due to the statistical process, 140 scorers also includes all those who would have scored more than 140 but cannot be measured in this test i.e all the children in the part of the bell curve to the right of 140(unfortunately not shown in the diagram)

420 is 140/paper, approx. 75% raw score on each paper. The pass mark for the last two years has been 120,120,115 in any order, with slightly higher passmarks in previous years. However, pass mark and standardisation depend on the ability of the particular cohort taking the test, so change from year to year.

Hope this helps
angel

Post by angel »

Thanks for that. I think what I am struggling with is that in Bexley 75% I think was the pass mark.

Kent - if a child scores lets say 85% how is that then recorded, does that just appear as scored 140 or 420, and the how would say someone like Dartford rank these children.
tired_dad_2008

Post by tired_dad_2008 »

Angel,

I'm not sure that you have understood the "most common" part in the explanation above. To score 140 means that you are (easily) in the top 1% of the academic range of 11yr olds (including those not taking the test). Let's say that half the kids taking the test this year are of pass standard, so will score aggregate of 355 or better. That means that half will get scores between 210 (=lowest possible) and 354. There are 125 possible total scores in that lower "fail" half of the candidates. It is actually very unlikely that candidates in the bottom two-thirds of THAT range would have been entered in the test at all, so the real range of "fail" marks might be more like 310 to 354, with most of these being close to 354.

Looking at the "pass" candidates, there will be a range of marks from 355 to 420. So there are 65 possible marks that might be scored above the pass line. Add these to the 45 or so likely fail marks and you have 110 possible aggregate scores. All Judd are saying is that 140 is more common than the other 109 scores that result from the test papers.

Even at arguably the most competitive school in Kent (Judd), only half of their successful candidates manage to score the maximum score, so there is plenty of scope for differentiating between candidates in order to rank the kids competing for the other 60 or so places. The situation will be similar in Dartford. They will not fill up their places with 420 candidates because there will not be enough of those applying to it.
shuff

Post by shuff »

Judd is where my DS would like to go, so we are going to have fun trying to figure out the lowest accepted score for Judd this year. The head in his talk said he was expecting it to be on the lower end i.e. 411 or below because of the early testing this year. Anyway we'll cross that bridge... have to find out if he passed first!!!