What Age / What CD / Download?

Questions and advice about our 11 Plus Interactive CDs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jessmum

What Age / What CD / Download?

Post by jessmum »

I notice someone has already asked this question on this forum but it got no response, so I hope someone will reply this time!

My DD is 8 and in Yr 4. Im currently not doing much in the way of practise papers apart from the Bond ones for her age group (the 8-9 set in Maths, English and VR). I realise I will need to order Nfer papers nearer the time, but feel its far too soon for that - Im mainly working on building vocab, encouraging reading and working on some VR skills.

Im quite keen for her to try some of the computer based learning aids, as with most kids, things seem more fun if it involves a keyboard rather than a pencil! Im not sure which (if any) of the downloads or CDs available are aimed at her age group. Her skill level isnt bad, but I certainly dont want to frighten her off with anything too hard, too soon!

I tried the practise free download verbal reasoning paper myself and found it quite hard (even got 1 wrong :oops: ) - compared to what level she is at now. Im assuming that would be aimed at an older child?

Are there any suitable programs for a Yr 4 child (who is just beginning to work at level 4 for most subjects).

We are in Essex and aiming for Westcliff High School for Girls.

Thanks if you can help.
jessmum

Post by jessmum »

Anyone...???

Ready to buy and download stuff from this site if its suitable, so a response would be appreciated!!! :wink:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi jessmum

Sorry you haven't had a reply before now - everyone in Essex must be napping!

I am not an expert on Essex, but it seems that the CSSE VR test is NFER multiple choice, so that is pretty similar to Bucks. However, I am not sure if Westcliff is part of the CSSE, and they may set different tests. I strongly advise that you either search the Essex forum for precise information, or make a new post to get the details.

Anyway, for basic practice at this stage, the two CDs that you could download for a younger child are:

:: The Tutors - Verbal Reasoning - Beginner

:: The Tutors - Vocabulary Builder Volume 1

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/cd/index.php

If the Westcliff test only has 15 question types, then there is no need for your DD to practice types 16 - 21 (sometimes referred to as HIKNOS) on the VR CD.

Not a precise answer, but I hope it helps a bit.

Sally-Anne
jessmum

Post by jessmum »

Thank you Sally-Anne, that helps a lot!

Thanks for your detailed response! Yes, WHSG is part of the CSSE so Im pretty sure it will be the Nfer VR multiple choice paper with English and Maths standard papers.

At this stage we are practising general skills - not going to start "structured" work, or think about tutors for at least a year. She will sit the test in Nov 2010 (assuming Essex keeps the dates similar to recent years!) so we have plenty of time! I did think the vocabulary builder would be an excellent buy now though, and you have confirmed that so looks like that will be my first purchase. She really enjoys the VR work too, so I'll take a look at the beginner version of that as well.

I really appreciate your help, thanks so much!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Jessmum

The Tutors have written a second Beginner CD containing short papers of 40 questions each covering the 21 question types at Beginner Level 1 and Beginner Level 2.

We are waiting for the questions to be inputted into the software by elevenplusexams then we will be able to proof-read the product prior to launch. There will be a free demo available.

We would hope to have the CD/Download launched by mid-November.

There are e-papers available at Beginner Level 1, available from the e-paper section of the site and there is a method & technique course currently available in the free downloads section.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
jessmum

Post by jessmum »

Thanks for that info Mike.

I have a couple earmarked for download (once Dh gets paid :wink: ).

Look forward to seeing the new CDs as well.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi

The Tutors Beginner CD2 has been launched with two free demo tests.

A great way to pass those additional few days before the children go back to school!!

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now