OK - So who's going to open the letter? - Vote now...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Who will open the results letter in your house and why... Vote now!

Poll ended at Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:06 pm

Parent/Guardian - The letter is addressed to us
45%
Parent/Guardian - I want to make sure news is positive
30%
Both - we will open it together
20%
Our son/daughter will open it
5%
Undecided
No votes

Total votes: 20

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
theycandoit

OK - So who's going to open the letter? - Vote now...

Post by theycandoit »

As I understand it the letter is addressed to the parents.

My son has asked to open the letter in his bedroom by himself and then come down and tell everyone. Although we remain optimistic, we don't want him to be opening a letter in case it's not what we are hoping for.

So who will open the letter in your house and why... Vote now!
kid power rules!
ergo

Post by ergo »

I think it depends if letter arrives before my child gets home. If it does I will open it and then can prepare the way for bad news - if necessary - for when they get home. If we are both at home when it arrives, we will open it together, but so far she hasn't even asked to open it on her own at all!
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

Because the postman does not wander round this way until any time between 10 and lunchtime usually, which means that hte majority of children will not know their results before they go to school, our school is going to text us with a message either saying "PESE Grammar school" or "PESE High School/Wide Ability School" at 7.30am on Tuesday. The message will come to my phone. DD1 has not asked yet if she can "open" the message so ATM I think I will although if she asks, I think I will have to let her but will be looking over her shoulder.
wardie

Post by wardie »

Hi twellsmum,

Having a text before school sounds like trouble.

Won't there be a lot of very excited or very dejected kids at school.

I prefer to have the letter during the day and tell DS after school and he can have plenty of time to be 'over the moon' or 'sick as a parrot' during the evening and have time to sleep on it before school.

I feel for the ones that will have bad news because that could make going to school more difficult.

On a more positive note; maybe your school have ALL passed therefore the text in the morning would be a good thing.

I will be out shopping tomorrow and will get home in time for the post.

Nearly there now....... 24 hours to go.........

See you all tomorrow. Good Luck Everyone.
One Down

Post by One Down »

Unfortunately, we have an inset day tomorrow so my DD will be at home with me! It will make dealing with that envelope a bit trickier. I'm planning to rush to the doormat and tear it open before she realises it's here. Unfortunately for me, she has hearing like a bat.
Feel really let down that there will be noone in school to deal with any problems that may arise for any of the children in our school - after all, the teachers are still 'at work' and being paid. Gives a little insight in to where the childen's interests lie in the priority list, i suppose....

Good luck everyone for tomorrow - anyone else swinging from optimism to pessimism and back again about ten times each minute?

Fingers (and everything else!) crossed ***
wonderingmum

argghhhhhhh!

Post by wonderingmum »

This waiting is awful! The head offered to tell DD tomorrow at school if I wanted...sheeeesshhh! I said that I wasn't too comfortable with that as I want to be with her when she finds out....This is all because the post doesn't come until lunchtime and I will be at work tomorrow and wasn't sure if I was going to be able to be around for school pick up...turns out that work are really cool about me leaving early so I will...but this waiting.....I wonder if the head will be able to tell us tonight?(After school at least?)
One Down

Post by One Down »

Our head said absolutely not to that, even though we had an inset day the next day - but I'm not surprised, given all the other things that have gone before. Maybe your head will be a more empathetic and concerned for the feelings of her children. A couple of years ago, some children knew the results and some didn't - resulting in distraught children who didn't know and parents had to be called in to give the results. No reason why your head couldn't give you the results before school tomorrow though.
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

Hi Wardie

Must admit I thought text just before school was not brilliant. Fine for those who passed (like my DD) but to only have an hour before setting off for school for a child to deal with a bad result is not good. Last year the school texted parents in teh early evening so at least parents had teh evening to calm upset children who could then sleep on it before facing their peers.

However, I just wanted to know ... by texting it meant that I could go off to work knowing the result rather than sitting at work all day thinking of that envelope burning a hole in my doormat! We did not get the scores until this evening (parents' evening) but as TWGGS is teh school of our choice and we live within a mile, the scores don't really matter much.