Berkhamsted

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
c

Berkhamsted

Post by c »

Does anyone know the format for the exam at 11 to enter Berkhamsted independent school?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi c

I believe (but don't quote me) that it is English, Maths, VR and NVR. I don't think it is terribly demanding - nowhere near as tough as the exams for Haberdashers, Merchant Taylors etc. I haven't heard of people coaching for it, and I am not aware of many children failing it.

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Absolutely.

I know of several children taking Bucks 11+ who had Berkhamsted Collegiate as a "back up" and got in there when they failed 11+.

Although league tables should be taken with plenty of salt, the Collegiate's position is not as high as many of the grammar schools. You are paying for facilities and a degree of social exclusivity, but not for academic excellence.

(And no sour grapes - our child passed for both, so we opted for the grammar.)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi c

Spoke to a boy at Berko this week, by coincidence. He confirms that they did English, Maths, VR (not really like the 11+, apparently) and a dictation exercise to check for spelling and grammar. At the end of the dictation they were asked to complete the story themselves.

He says that 96 took the exam for 75 places, and although a few obviously didn't pass, some will have only been keeping it as a backstop option against a grammar school place, or other private school.

I know that the school has a few vacant places in Year 7 this year.

Hope that helps.

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now