Dartford & Wilmington - how far away is the catment area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bigrob

Dartford & Wilmington - how far away is the catment area

Post by bigrob »

Does anyone have any definite info on how far away the catchment area has been in the last few years?

I think we are not far off over 5 miles for both schools.

I emailed Kent this afternoon but have not heard anything yet.

I know the catchment area does vary year on year but I wanted to get an idea on our chances.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Hi - have you got my second pm?

Dartford allocates places to boys who live in Dartford first - they think this will be about 60 places. The remaining places (about 90) will be allocated to the top combined scores, regardless of where you live. This is the first year they have done this so there is no info about what the cut-off score might be. The info is here:

http://www.dartfordgrammar.kent.sch.uk/ ... .cfm?pid=6

When I phoned Wilmington they wouldn't tell me distances but did ask where we lived and said we would get a place - so worth phoning them directly and asking.

Good luck!
Gercha

Post by Gercha »

Hi Bigrob

We are also looking at Wilmington as we live in Orpington and are 6.4 miles away. Historically Wilmington have come out this far but why don't you ring the school. I rang the Head's secretary today (about their admission policy on admitting the top 10% of scorers who apply) and she was very helpful. I am sure she will be able to give you some guidance.
bigrob

Post by bigrob »

2childmum

Yes I did get the second PM - thanks.

I had read the Dartford admissions policy but never took it in.

That pretty much puts us out for Dartford as his score wont be high enough.

I will still put it down but realistically I think Wilmington is our only hope & with only 120 places I think it's going to be touch and go. I will give them a ring though.
bigrob

Post by bigrob »

I have had an email back from Kent CC and DS is 5.24 miles away from Wilmington.

I have spoken to Wilmington and been told that they normally go further out than that (at least in the last 5 years anyway).

So as long as there aren't loads of children in care, special needs, brothers, sisters, top 10% and others closer DS should be okay !!!!!!

I guess we'll all be back on here on 3rd March with good and bad news.
tremplus

Post by tremplus »

As a Dartford parent does anyone feel that it is fair that there should be consideration for distance until all the kent applicants are satisfied???
bigrob

Post by bigrob »

Or is it fair that someone further away should get a place irrespective of county?

i.e. why should the county line be the distinguishing factor?

Should someone who lives in Devon be able to go to Oxford University?
tremplus

Post by tremplus »

I think there should be a division at the county line for county schools. Universities are a national affair and not so closely aligned to the local area.
I contribute and vote to keep a county council that will maintain a grammar school system so why shouldn't it be that my children get priority if they live in that area over neighbouring education authorities. If fairness is an issue then why can't I, as a kent resident have 6 choices on a caf form like my neighbours!!
bigrob

Post by bigrob »

So it should be the council as you voted for them, that decide on the admissions policy and the over subscription policy?