Feeling bad this morning....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mum007

Feeling bad this morning....

Post by Mum007 »

I congratulate all those who have "met their potential".....

I personally am so devastated. I'm feeling so, so bad. I was much more composed yesterday but the reality is sinking in now. All DS's scores were much lower than CATs - even if he had got the same he would have passed comfortably but how can you explain to a 10 year old that all the mountain of work that we did together between taking those and the dates of the 11+ made him score miles less on each and every paper??

It just doesn't add up.

Gutted doesn't come into it. We're not going to appeal - the headteacher has tried already and for us as it wouldn't be good.

Today starts the rest of our lives but we just had to take a massive detour and I'm not happy....

... just "Sad" x :(
solution59

Post by solution59 »

While we got the result we wanted, reading your post, I really feel for you, for others on the forum and for the 2 children at my DS's school who are probably feeling equally awful this morning.

Remember though, even if you decide not to appeal, this doesn't have to be the end of the road academically for your son. We know a number of children who not having made the grade at 11, went on to NS for a year, two years, did well, then successfully applied to the grammar of their choice on the basis of their performance in years 7/8.

I know there's some disruption involved in going this route, but if you and your son find he's not fulfulling his potential at the new school - for whatever reason - there ARE options post 11+, believe me.

Hang in there...
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Mum007 - I'm really sorry to hear how low you are feeling this morning. It must be awful knowing that your child is grammar material and didn't pass - I'm sure Bougalou will sympathise with you.

Do you have any reasonable non-selectives near you? Many of the ones I know have a "top/grammar/fast-track" set and you may well find your son in something like that. A friend of my son's who didn't pass the 11+ last year is currently enjoying the praise heaped on her by her non-selective school, while my son is having to come to terms with the fact that he's no longer at the top of the pile.

I know there's nothing much anyone can say to help at the moment, and I know we all want our children at a grammar school or we wouldn't be using this forum. But - every year thousands and thousands of children achieve considerable academic success at non-selective schools, and I'm sure your son will be one of them.

Love and best wishes to you both.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

Great advice and exactly what I told our DS who didn't pass yesterday. He was not ready for the 11+ but could be in a couple of years or so. The grammars also have extra spaces at 6th form for those with good grades. All is not lost. However, I really feel for you Mum007, as that is how I would have felt last time with son No.1 who really put himself into it and was desperate to pass, which he did.
cindy

Post by cindy »

mum 007

Did the Head appeal, you imply this was done.

My son had a Head's appeal, which was not accepted, but we did get threough on the formal appeal.

Can I ask what scores your son did get

Cindyx
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Mum007 - how did your ds take the news? Was he suprised? It sounds as though he was expected to pass, so you need to find out what happened I think for your own sanity. Did he seem nervous on the day?
nofingernailsleftmum

Post by nofingernailsleftmum »

Hi Mum007

I know exactly how you feel. My DD scored low in 2 of her papers. Her teacher and the Head were extremely surprised as her CAT scores were well above average. She's had lots of cuddles and I have told her how proud I am of her, and her teacher has also promised to do her best to build up her confidence. The damn thing is though I just know she is clever enough for grammar school. But let's not give up eh? I'm not appealing mainly because of her scores but Bexleymum is right - they'll be at the top of their form in their new schools and will probably excel. Good Luck whatever you decide to do. x
Mum007

Post by Mum007 »

Thank you all for responding to my post - reading it back now I feel somewhat embarrassed, but it really did feel bleak at that time in the morning.

I'm pleased to say that since DS came home from school I have perked up. There was no way I would have wished "failure" on anyone, but to learn that one of his friends did not get through either made it feel a whole heap better. I know it's awful for me to say that but from my DS's point of view it seemed so important to find out that he was not the only one.

I have also found out how many passed out of his year and it fell short of the 25% discussed everywhere - about 22% - I'm not sure exactly how many are in his cohort so it could be a little different.

DS was poorly on the day and I did send a letter in knowing that it wouldn't make a jot of difference in an appeal situation.

I have decided to move on now and will take my leave of this forum. Our journey is over.

Best wishes to every single one of you. Thank you for the great support offered here.

Thanks.
cindy

Post by cindy »

Dont leave.

Are you sure that appealing is not an option.

Cindyx