NFER English papers

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

NFER English papers

Post by Guest »

Is it only us (answer: probably!) but have any others found the NFER commercially available English papers a little dubious on some questions?

On the grammar we sometimes find the punctuation answers debatable, and on the comprehension we often think that the answers given are either wrong or could be argued more than one way. This is only on a minority of questions, but enough to turn marks from ok to very good if alternatives allowed.

By the way, I understand that in our region the English papers are apparently out of 60, not 50. Anyone else come across this?
Sarah Champion

English

Post by Sarah Champion »

Interesting that I should read your message today. My son did a nfer paper this morning.(The dog from outer space) 11b Q24 was ' The slamming front door woke Jack's sister' Which of these words is a verb? According to the answer booklet, 'woke' is the verb. My son had put 'slamming' which according to my dictionary is also a verb but he would have incorrect. A bit unfair don't you think? :?
a

Post by a »

iIn the phrase the slamming front door ..." the word "slamming" is qualifying the front door, i.e describing the front door. That makes it an adjective in the sentence.

The word "slamming" could be a verb. Foir example " The boy was slamming the door". In this sentence the word slamming is the doing word, so it is a verb.

I think that is correct, but I am not an English scholar. I hope there is one on line who can give a more accurate answer if I am wrong.

In the sentence "The slamming front door woke Jack's sister" the only "doing action is "woke".

Hope that helps.
Jess

Post by Jess »

Yes, I'm sure that's right. Just because a word could be used as a verb doesn't make it one in every context.

Post by Guest »

Wow! They don't make it easy do they???
:(
Sarah C

English

Post by Sarah C »

Thanks very much for the explanation. I see what you mean about the use of verbs. I'm just glad it's not me doing the exam!

When my 17 year old daughter took her 11+ it was verbal and non-verbal. Our area has changed in the last year to English, Maths and VR plus a 30 minute writing task. This will make it a 4 hour session- pretty tough for 10/11 year olds. Is this the standard selection procedure across the board?

Post by Guest »

Sarah,

It varies from county to county, and even from school to school.

Some sit 2 VR and take the best mark as Bucks does, Some sit Maths, VR and NVR for slough schools, some do a VR and NVR. One does Maths, English, and Reasoning. (could be VR or NVR, the child has to practise for both, as they won't know which, until they are sitting the exam, on exam day!) They also vary in format, some are Multiple choice and some are standard.
:?
Totally depends on your schools and thier location!!

RR

Post by Guest »

After that little detour to deal with a specific question, does anyone else have any comments about the NFER English?
Sarah C

Post by Sarah C »

Sorry about that deviation - I should have gone to a different forum. :oops:

I support you fully over the ambiguity of some of the English questions. I appreciate these tests are to identify very able children but there are few 11 year olds that could see the subtle differences in the answers.

With regard to your query about the number of questions, our tutor (who works for NFER) tells me there will be 50 here in Wiltshire. Hope that is some help?