Appeals

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ayse3112

Appeals

Post by Ayse3112 »

I am a worried mum living in Tunbridge Wells, who has just received results for son's 11+. He just failed by 1!!!!!

I am really frustrated coz he is a bright pupil who is in top set for all subjects and was recommended by the school to take his 11+. They were 100% sure he would not fail. But he failed on appeal based on his creative writing piece. I think this is very unfair system as he received well above the pass mark but lost out on 1 point for NVR. What do they actually look at when a school goes to appeal??? Anyone I can see his paper and there comments???

He and I really want him to go to nearest all Boys Grammar School, which is within walking distance to our house. Also as we are muslims, all the other schools near are church schools.

School has said go for appeal. What are the chances of him getting the place at Tunbridge Wells Boys Grammar School????

Is it worth the appeal????

Please help me!!! :cry:
medway222

Post by medway222 »

Hi,

Just one point away, I would def go for an appeal! My daughter was 2 points away last year, although we failed the review (medway only) we perservered and won the appeal. Go for it, ask Kent Council if they do a re-mark, Medway dont, but I think some councils do, I enquired about this last year and I think Kent may be able to help. Its worth a try. I photocoped everything from school reports to letters from the headteacher and class teachers, attendance records, certificates! I was advised not to but I did it anyway!! All but the photograph of my daughter reading a dictionary!!!lol Go for it! What have you got to lose. Good luck!
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

I'm with medway on this, 1 point off - go for it. You have nothing to lose, and may regret it if you do nothing.
All the best
Bougalou
capers123

Post by capers123 »

medway222 wrote:Go for it, ask Kent Council if they do a re-mark, Medway dont, but I think some councils do, I enquired about this last year and I think Kent may be able to help.
The school I was on the appeals panel for always did a manual re-mark of answer papers for children who were subjects of appeal.

Back in May, for the first time I can remember, one paper was wrong - one question was marked wrong instead of right. The child was 1 point under admission, which changed to one above. We didn't get to hear the appeal, as the clerk told the school that they must offer a place (this was the morning of the appeal, and she managed to get hold of the parents by 'phone before they left home).

But don't forget, a manual remark could also find a question marked as correct when in fact it was wrong!
Capers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now