Centralised testing

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Centralised testing

Post by Guest »

I just wanted to wish all children taking tests this week the very best of luck. My son is very nervous and he doesn't have the familiarity of doing the test at his own school. It is pretty scary being taken to a large hall where you don't know anybody and don't really know what to expect. It is also supposed to be his holiday - not much of a rest !!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest

I, too wish all those taking their tests this week, the best of luck.

Patricia
JB

Post by JB »

My sympathies - my daughter was also in Aylesbury bright & early this morning!
As an out of county, untutored child we're not expecting too much, but after taking the 3 practise papers over the last 3 days she still wanted to have a go. Very varied results on the pracitse papers:
Friday - only had time to answer 52 questions & got 44 correct.
Saturday - answered 64 questions & got 54 correct.
Yesterday - answered all the questions & got 62 correct.
Today - came out smiling, saying that it was easy, she's finished in time & 'only had to guess 5'!
So God only knows what to expect...worst result would be to pass but not be offered a place because we live 10 miles from Royal Latin, over the Northants border.

PS - can anyone confirm that in Bucks the test is scored by best paper out of the 2, rather than total or average?
Thanks, JB
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear JB

Yes, its the best score of 2, no longer the average. Your daughter can therefore fail miserably on 1, score 121 on the other and shes passed!

Good Luck!

Patricia

Post by Guest »

If your daughter passes she still might get a place. RLS offered up to 10.485 miles last year (see http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/get//asse ... ofiles.pdf)

I think it all depends on the number of places available, since - after other criteria, e.g. siblings, are taken into account - unfilled places are offered to successful out-of-area candidates in order of distance from the school regardless of VR score. Presumably, this distance should change each year depending on how many successful out-of-area candidates there are and how far away from the school they live.

Best of luck to your daughter and please let us know how she gets on - we also live in Northants and have a daughter at RLS!
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Wow, is that correct, you don't always have to get the magic 121 pass to get into Bucks grammar schools???? Or are you referring to those who appeal beause they just miss the pass mark? Or have I misunderstood you completely (sorry if I have!)
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Ambridge

You need to gain at least 121 in ONE of the tests to gain entry.

Therefore you could score 113 and 121 and still get in. A few years ago the child would have failed with these scores as the average was taken.

Patricia
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Thanks Patricia for clarifying. I obviously misunderstood the guest above me.
b

Post by b »

Patricia
Thought you might be interesting in a course I went to several years ago before the introduction of the new test set up for Bucks (best of 2 with 3 practices replacing previous average of 2 of 3 tests with 2 practices). The course was given by the team responsible for bringing in the new 11+ exam system, together with the new cross-county equal preference allocation system for schools. The team was headed by a management consultant, and the team members were LEA admissions personnel. Course attendees were mostly primary school governors (like myself) and some head teachers.

To see whether best of 2 tests gave a different result from average of best 2 of 3 tests, the team had fed all the data from a previous year's results (i.e. taking tests 2 and 3 from 2003 -I thnk- )to see which children would qualify (reach 121) on the new test system. They found that for all entrants to the Bucks tests for that (2003?) year there was a difference for 5 children only. For each of the 5 they would have qualified under the new system (attain 121 in 1 test qualifies) whereas they had not qualified under the old system (average of best 2 tests had to be greater than 121). Each of those 5 children had appealed and each had been accepted into grammar schools on appeal.

So the team's conclusion was that the change made little difference to the result and that in the very few cases that it did, it favoured the children.

patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear b

Yes, I have heard this, NFER themselves say it would make little difference too and that's the official line.

My mind says it should make a difference, but, then I am NOT an expert in this field and I am certainly NOT a statistician!

Patricia