Caistor Grammar misinformation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Caistor Grammar misinformation

Post by Guest »

For the person who posted under the results thread about having been misinformed about the exams for Caistor Grammar:

I note that in the Published Admissions Policies in "Going to School in Lincolnshire" the above school indeed only mentions VR tests and therefore did not update its entry from the previous year(s).

I think this is absolutely unforgiveable! I really think complaints should be made both to the governors of the school and to the County Council admissions department who have published this incorrect information.

If you do not receive any satisfaction perhaps the Ombudsman would be appropriate?? Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the system could advise?

Sara

Post by Guest »

thanks sara,
I was going to leave it as we are very much out of catchment but would have considered a move had he passed.
I have re checked all the infomation sent to me and it was definately 2 VR papers! This came directly from the school in JULY Ending when I registered.I even rang them and was told 2 VR papers on two SEPERATE days, it was only when I rang the second time after having read on this forum about the introduction of NVR was I told it would be 1 VR AND 1 NVR! BY this time , It was less than a week to go before the 1st exam!
Consequently, my son came out of the exam and said it was something he was not familiar with! Complete waste of time ,energy and stress!
I now feel I will put in a complaint to the school and send them copies of all the info they sent me which DO NOT MENTION NVR!

Post by Guest »

I can hardly express how appalled I am by your story. You have very strong grounds for complaint against both the school and also the county council as they are responsible for what is published in the "Going to School in Lincolnshire " book and so are also guilty of misleading you. So I would be inclined to write both to the Governors of the school and to the Director of Children's Services at LCC. If you get no satisfactory reply I would seek further advice from the Advisory Centre for Education and perhaps consider contacting your MP. (MP's enquiries do ensure someone senior has to look at your case).

I would have thought that you have a case for launching an appeal, but the success of any appeal will depend on other things. The appeal would be 2 stage - first against the failure to reach the required standard and second against the non-allocation of a place. You would need to show that he should have passed the exam had he had the proper notice (which I think would probably be considered to be long enough to have completed the NFER familiarisation papers). He will have needed to pass the VR exam and you will probably need other evidence of his high academic ability from school. Next you would need to show that he would have got a place had he passed along with all the others and his application been considered then. This is where you would need to know the numbers of places allocated to out of area applicants etc. Failing this you would have to show that it would be more prejudicial to your child not to have a place than it would be for the school to take in an extra pupil.

The more I think about this the more I think you may need some expert advice!! Try ACE - they would point you in the right direction even if they cannot help themselves. Web address is: www.ace-ed.org.uk

Wish you all the best whatever you decide to do.

Sara

Post by Guest »

thank you again sara,I will look into it. It's appauling! tosa y the least!

Post by Guest »

Just a couple of bits of info which have come to light. Apparently Caistor Grammar is the only one in Lincolnshire which is NOT part of the Consortium of Lincolnshire Grammar Schools. When the Consortium took over the testing procedure from the County Council they changed the tests from ones set by Moray House which the council had used to ones set by NFER. Caistor, however, retained the Moray House tests. I do not know whose tests they used this year but any decision they made to change the tests was independent of the other Grammar schools because they are not part of the Consortium.

The other bit of info is that you can see the Governors' reports for Caistor Grammar on the web - they seem to show that approximately half of the intake in some previous years came from "out of area".

Sara
Louise

Post by Louise »

King's Grammar school in Grantham still only mentions VR paper on their website as does the Going to School in Lincolnshire book. Very misleading for parents.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now