Question weighting

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jimi

Question weighting

Post by Jimi »

Are there more points given to particular types of questions in verbal reasoning. I ask because something like 'Reading Information' takes a while to figure out but appears to be worth 1 point per question. I'm guessing this is not the case! Thanks.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Jimi

There is only one mark per question regardless of difficulty or the length of time it takes to find the answer.

The Z questions you refer to [time wasters] should always be left till last. Take a guess, move on and come back if there is time. A guess must always be made just in case there is not time to return.

Patricia
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Dear Patricia, thanks for the tip. I'm surprised at that.

What are other Z question types? I've only been monitoring my son's overall & individual question type scores not times. I've been marking the paper at half time and full time (if neccesary) but I haven't been timing individual question types.

It's the first 15 questions.

Jimi
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

It really bugs me that these get such a low weighting as my DS is very good at them, likes them and hardly ever gets them wrong. I need him to get them right because if I have to go to appeal on his spelling re -early education dissadvantage, he needs to get nearly everything that does not have a spelling slant right and as we only do the 15Q the spelling type Qs are a large percentage of the paper :x

Fortunately he doesn't have a time problem :)
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

patricia wrote:The Z questions you refer to [time wasters] should always be left till last. Take a guess, move on and come back if there is time. A guess must always be made just in case there is not time to return.

Patricia

I've been asking mine to leave D H Q & Z completely alone until the rest of the paper is finished/time's running out, thinking they will be easier to answer when the pressure is off. Hopefully he's then more relaxed about them. These have been his 60%+ types, whereas the rest are 85-100%

I do understand why you recommend the guess because they might not manage time well towards the end, however, if you're not allowed to mark the paper/question with a 'guess circle', then keeping separate notes of guesses could become messy/forgetful, couldn't it?

I will say though, that my son has an surprisingly good memory of the q's he guessed on immediately after the test so maybe I'm underestimating him, in your experience do children accurately remember those guesses?

I suppose if he's guessed (during the paper) he just has to look for certain Q types and think about them again but I worry that in the heat of the test, he may end up with time on his hands and not be able to easily find his guesses! If they were empty they would be easier to see.

Risky business?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Jimi

Which area/school is your child taking the test.?

Are you sure you cannot mark the question booklet? In Bucks for the 11 plus you can mark it, but for the 12 plus you cannot. If your child definitly cannot mark, then they should quickly section off a corner of the rough paper putting all guessed question numbers in this box.

I never recommend leaving out whole sections, my children plough through each section in order. They only leave out the Zs. With practice children should not find the timing a problem.

Patricia
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Hi Patricia, thanks for the reply.

It is for Pates in Gloucestershire, I've read here somewhere that notes on question paper are not allowed.

We have been using the section to keep a double check of any passes so yes, he could use that area for guesses instead.

Which do you class as the Z's?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Jimi

The letter Z comes from a publisher called IPS. There are always 2 in each test from NFER [now GL assessment]

Type 15 on The Tutors demo are the equivalent to Z.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/cd/the ... lume-1.php

Again I would never encourage a child to miss out whole sections, only the 2 Zs

Patricia
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Ah that makes sense. When Z question types were referred to earlier, I thought it was an expression and there was more than one Z question type i.e. harder questions that you leave to last.
Now I realise that Z questions refer to more than one question in the test using type 15.

Many thanks Patricia.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now