Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
RTA43

Results

Post by RTA43 »

Hi all, can someone confirm to me how we get the results? I rang Bucks CC and a lady there told me (after consulting with a colleague) that they are posted to our home, but this is in contrast to parents whose DC have taken it in the past who say that the children bring it home? I checked the document that has been posted by Sally Anne and this just says that results are notified on 21st, but it would be great to understand the method of confirmation.

By the way, I haven't posted before, but have been following the threads on this site and have found it (and everyone who contribute) a great support to help with this process.

RT
Regards, RTA
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hello and welcome.

I too am a BUcks mum and I too am not sure as to where we will get results from. In actual fact have been meaning to ask school. In my ds primary school(we moved dd) the childen were given the letter and brought it home. I think the schools do get the letters the day before or so.

Mel
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi RT, and welcome to the Forum.

Bucks Admissions are usually very good with phone enquiries, so I am surprised that you got the wrong answer.

Was it actually Admissions you spoke to or one of the ghastly "customer service advisors" who answer the phone at Bucks CC these days? If it was, then it is no surprise - they seem to be employed solely to tell you anything they think will get you off the phone as quickly as possible. :roll:

If your child is at a Bucks state school or a Bucks Partner School (private school) then they will receive a letter at school to bring home on November 21st.

If they took the test late, the letter will still come via pupil post, although it may be later then the 21st, depending on how late they sat the tests.

Pupils who take the test from out-of-county or attend a non-partner school will receive their letters by post.

Schools usually receive the pupil letters and a spreadsheet showing the results around a week before Results Day. However, there is a very strict embargo on releasing them before the end of the school day on November 21st.

Sally-Anne
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Thanks for that Sally-Anne

So basically the teacher knows who has and who hasn't passed? Gosh how do they keep that to themsleves.

Funny because when my son took test 3 years ago there was a very able girl in his class whose extremely able sister had failed the year before sending shockwvaes through the school. Highest practice results, scolarship for music, top in everything. Anyway when the sister took test I always wondered how her mum was able to allow her to open the envelope in the playground after the heat ache she had the year before when everyone had expected her daughther to pass. Now the DH at that school was a very nice guy who had been very supportive to the family and so it wouldn't surprise me if he hadn't told her of second 'ds results.
I wouldn't have blamed him.

I for one shall avoid seeing my dd's teacher beforehand so as not to worry about how she may be looking at me and whether it is a look of sorryfullness or gladness.

Mel
xx :wink:
Bucks mum of 2

Post by Bucks mum of 2 »

Hello all - I thought I ought to register (after reading this forum for the couple of years and finding it very helpful) to say that I was one of the "ghastly customer service advisors" as Sally-Ann puts it!
I wanted to point out that the CSA's spent large amounts of time (15/20 minutes a call) answering questions about the 11+ etc and always endeavoured to ensure that the caller got all the information they required. I would often get at least 15 calls a day about entry to Bucks Grammar schools. Bucks CC do not pay staff to get people off the phones as quickly as possible. In my experience very few people were unhappy with the service provided. Lots of the staff there were Bucks parents with school age children - and most of us had gone through the 11+ system ourselves! I personally didn't work with anyone I considered 'ghastly'.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Mel X

The teacher may not know the actual result, although the Head will - I shall avoid him like the plague on the week before the results.

Hi Bucks mum of 2, and welcome to the forum!

I am really pleased that someone who knows what is going on with the CSAs at County Hall has turned up here. Your post was entirely reasonable, and I am glad that you are not taking my comments personally - thank you.

I apologise sincerely for using the word "ghastly" in referring to people, because I am sure that each individual is nothing like that, and you are most surely not from your post.

I do have to continue to describe the system as ghastly though, because I have received too many reports of it failing to be able to praise it as yet. Positive staff like yourself will make a big difference to it, I am sure.

As you will know from reading the Forum for a couple of years, I always give Bucks a verbal bouquet when they get things right, and my opinion of Admissions has certainly gone up in the last 18 months.

I have unfortunately had many occasions when 11+ parents have PMed me to say that they were wrongly advised over the phone by the "first contact", i.e. the CSA at Bucks CC. Parents assume that the advice they recieve from a CSA is absolutely correct. They take that as the law, and find out only too late that it was not correct.

Without wishing to be confrontational in any way, I am sure that you will agree that the advice RTA43 received was incorrect.

My concern is that, at the frontline, you cannot possibly hope to have detailed information to answer questions on every subject. School Admissions is such an emotive issue that only Admisions themselves can really deal with the issue in some cases.

I would really welcome your thoughts from "the other side", because this has been an increasing problem with Bucks parents over the last couple of years.

If you would prefer to PM me, you are most welcome to do so.

Sally-Anne
RTA43

Results

Post by RTA43 »

Hi Mel, actually a dad (not mum) but hey ho...

Sally-Anne - I asked to be put through to admissions, but didn't question to ensure this had happened ie presumed that I was in the right place. I could tell early on that the lady didn't know the answer, and didn't think it was worth pushing as may have appeared rude. Thought I would definitely find the answer on this forum - as is the case with everything else to do with the 11+.

I am a governor so I will have to also steer clear of headteacher if she knows the results before release!

RTA
Regards, RTA
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Apologies RTA43 I should not have assumed.

So there will be alot of head teachers getting snubbed in a couple of weeks

That kind of makes me chuckle

Picture it now

Mr??? Mrs???

hello ho.. its me I just wante ..............

Thats odd why are all the parents running away from me lately??????

:?
Sally-Anne

Re: Results

Post by Sally-Anne »

RTA43 wrote:I asked to be put through to admissions, but didn't question to ensure this had happened ie presumed that I was in the right place. I could tell early on that the lady didn't know the answer, and didn't think it was worth pushing as may have appeared rude.
This is the problem. There is no indication to the caller that they are not speaking to Admissions directly.

When it is a matter of relatively low importance such as this issue (although how I or anyone waiting for results could describe it as unimportant, I'm not sure :lol: ), no particular damage is done.

However, on a more serious issue there could be (and have been) serious consequences.

For that reason I would always recommend the following:

:: If your query is general, such as this one was, take the word of the CSA, but try to double check either here or with the school afterwards.

:: If the query is specific to your child, always press to be put through to Admissions themselves.

:: Once you have the answer, confirm it to them by email, and request a reply. At least you then have written evidence and the chances are that, once you go into print, the reply will be checked for accuracy by someone fairly senior in the department.

Admissions are improving their accuracy, but they do still make mistakes. The mistakes do seem to have become fewer and less critical over the last year though. I only hope they can keep it up through this year's process, particularly now that the 12+ has been moved to February half-term.

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now