KES entrance test format

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mike1880

KES entrance test format

Post by mike1880 »

Can anyone point me to a description of the entrance test format for KES?

Mike
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Hi Mike,

Can only be of limited help and what I have to say relates to KEHS... I presume it's similar for KES but not certain. There are 2 papers spread over 2 days...with maths, English and reasoning on the first day and maths and English on the 2nd day. The English paper is 2 x 1hr papers over the 2 days and is based on comprehension questions both short and long ans. It was stressed at the open day that they are looking for potential and kids with original thinking. I belive the comp. q are somewhat inferential. I believe a piece of creative writing is also on the paper. Maths is not multi choice and again the maths teacher stressed they are interedted in the working out and thought patterns involved in reaching an ans... even if the final ans. is incorrect. She advised practising with Sudoku and countdown type puzzles.

At KEHs it was mentioned they have around 300 applicants for 80 places.

Hope this gives you some relevant info.

Clarendon
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Yes, that's a help. AIUI the KES and KEHS do different tests but I think the format will be similar.

We've got the 11+ belt out of the way, the unfeasible braces will be sometime next month, so now I'm starting to think about the utterly unaffordable piece of string. Trying to motivate the little malingerer to keep going for another two months - especially creative writing practice!!! :cry: - will be quite a challenge though. It's bad enough trying to make him write sentences for his homework.

Mike
Dibble

Post by Dibble »

mike1880 wrote:Yes, that's a help. AIUI the KES and KEHS do different tests but I think the format will be similar.
Mmmmm. I don’t think so Mike.
I take it you’ve seen this http://www.kes.bham.sch.uk/admissions/calendar.html
My son took the test two years ago but I really would give Nicole Phillips a ring, if I were you, for up to date information
mike1880 wrote:I'm starting to think about the utterly unaffordable piece of string
I take it you’ve seen this too http://www.kes.bham.sch.uk/letters/ap_scale.pdf
Though only around 20 percent of boys offered a place are offered such support. Speaking to Mrs Andronikou would be a good idea, of course.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I'm aware of the assisted places scheme; it wouldn't help, for us it's a (substantial) scholarship or nothing.

Thanks for the pointer about the exam, I read that page only yesterday but failed to take any of it in for some reason! e.g. I hadn't even spotted that it's on a Friday... :oops:

Mike
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now