Bucks 11+ 2006

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hedgehog

Bucks 11+ 2006

Post by hedgehog »

My daughter is just about to take her 11+ in Bucks. I know two weeks later than almost everyone else.

She got 69 out of 80 in the first practise paper - would this be a pass or fail in the "real" test?

Also, how do I get her to check her work properly? - she seems to make silly mistakes - still - because she'd not checking - or she is misreading the question.
MelX

Post by MelX »

Hi Hedgehog

My son got 66 in his practise last year and he did pass but I guess it depends on how your daughter has been doing at home too. We also practised using NFER at home and my son was scoring as many as 82/85 so clearly the practise at school is more difficult. How has she done in the other two practise papers?

As for the mistakes. You must work out why she is making them is she rushing or just not getting a particular type? I think children do make mistakes when they know they have to finish in a set time so why dont you get her to do a test at home without timing her and then do another the same one timing her and then mark them and see the difference in scores. thsi may help to see whtehr it is a tiem thing.

MelX
sunflowergoldie

Post by sunflowergoldie »

that is a pass for bucks the pass mark is 69 out of 85
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Sunflowergoldie and hedgehog

A score of 69 out of 85, probably wouldn't pass a Bucks child. A scoreof 69 out of 80 would be borderline, I always aim for 90% to be on the safe side.

Patricia
worried bucks

pass mark

Post by worried bucks »

Why are there questions over 69 out of 85.? I thought the papers were all out of 80. Am I wrong, and would a pass mark for a 10year 3mnth old be lower than 69 out of 80 ? Is the approximate amount of extra marks for a younger child round about 3 extra?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Worried Bucks

Do not worry, the posting that mentioned 85 questions are probably the shop bought NFER tests [ I always cross off the last 5 ]

69/80 is a very rough estimate of the pass mark in Bucks, but as this changes each year depending on the cohort taking the test, I prefer 90%

You cannot add set/rough numbers to a childs scores, again it all depends on the cohort and the standardisation process.

Patricia
Worried Bucks

Post by Worried Bucks »

Patricia, can you tell me how Bucks get to a total of 141 and the pass is 121, when the papers are out of 80. As adding the papers together you get 160. How do they come up with these figures?Very confused over these standardised scorings etc!!A mum I was chatting to yesterday told me her friends son who passed the 11= last year got 130, and then had an extra 5 added on to make it 135 as he was a July baby. Does this sound right?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Worried Bucks

This mums friend, where she got this information from I DO NOT know! The result letters do NOT show a raw score, It will ONLY show the score after standardisation. The marks each year will vary, no one knows how many points are added [ only NFER]

The scores out of 141 are given for each test, they are not added together. To gain 141 the child does not need to score 100% 121, is approx 86% In Bucks, that is, we seem to be a bit different to the rest of the country, not using 100 as the average score when standardising, we use 112 and yes standardisation is very difficult to understand. The following link may help you..

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/standa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... scores.php

Patricia
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Patricia

Hypothesising about why Bucks use a 112 Standardised Score as the average - Do you think this could be a simple adjustment to reflect the fact the Bucks 11+ candidate population has a higher ability than the general population of all 11 year olds nationwide? I think LEAs may have to score tests based on a nationally representative age sample.

viz. In general only parents who think their child has a chance of passing will enter their child for the Bucks test hence the adjustment upwards

In typical Standardised Scoring, a score of 112 would represent the 78 percentile and above, whereas a score of 121 would represent the 92 percentile and above.

Do you know what the score of 121 represents in terms of the Bucks Standardised percentile?

Do they get NFER to do the Standardisation or do they use a 3rd party organisaton like the National Foundation for Educational Research as happens in Birmingham?

PS Hypothesising and representative are a couple of good words for your list!!!

PPS I not trying to start a debate about the ability of Bucks 11 year olds compared to the rest of the country!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Ken

Bucks tests are standardised to 110 not 112 [ slip of the finger] The standardised range is still 69-141 it results in a skewed bell shape curve rather than a symmetrical one that occurs most often in a population distribution, because more students are performing at the higher end of the range than the lower end.......[ we have a glut of scores at the top level of 141 ] It suggests that the average score in Bucks is very high, perhaps over 70% and that the minimum score attained is also high, perhaps over 50% hence the estimate of the Bucks test requiring at least an 86% pass mark.

The scores are standardised specifically for Bucks, not nationally by NFER

In general out of county children are only entered if there is a good chance of passing. In county ALL are entered unless the parent requests in writing that they do not wish to enter the child, most are entered, regardless of ability, a large number receive tuition not all will pass, but will score reasonably high through tuition, again pushing that mark up.

It would appear that amongst our statistical neighbours [counties with the same socia/economic profile as Bucks] we are pretty high up ladder for all key stages!

Patricia
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now