Parking at C Hill site on test day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

clarendon

Parking at C Hill site on test day

Post by clarendon »

I've had confirmation of test details for my daughter to attend C Hill on 8.11.08. We live a good distance away so can't realistically use public transport as suggested in the letter. Can anyone with prev experience of this site on test days tell me what to expect in terms of volume of traffic and suggestions for parking, please? I know it's going to be busy but would like to be prepared for just how busy so I can plan for that in journey time etc. Don't want to be rushing and self and daughter getting flustered anymore than we probably will be anyway!

Thanks for any help anyone able to give.

Clarendon
solimum

parking

Post by solimum »

I don't know about test day itself but in general for busy events at the school it has usually been possible to park on site, although it can get quite congested, and I guess potentially there could be a lot more cars on this Saturday. If you want to avoid the site itself, it rather depends which direction you're coming from, but I tend to approach from the south along the Alcester Road and turn left down somewhere like Tenbury Road , park on one of the side streets between there and Howard Road but avoid getting onto Vicarage Road altogether.

Another alternative would be to park somewhere off Kings Heath High St (there's a small multi-story behind Sainsbury's) so you can go and do some shopping while the test is on...
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

It will be chaos, and I know the residents around the Camp Hill schools absolutely dread this day. They quite often have to get the police out because parents have parked blocking their drives. I think my best advice would be to have two adults in the car, so once the traffic comes to a standstill one of you can get out with your daughter and walk the remaining distance to the school. Better still, if you can afford it, get a taxi to take you as far as possible so that none of you have to worry about parking the car anywhere!
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Thanks to solimum and KES parent for very helpful replies. The letter from the Foundation states that it will not be possible to park on site on day of the test. The suggestions re Sainsbury's or to get as close as poss and take a taxi seem particularly appealing and will investigate these further. May be worth doing a "dummy" run to the school area to suss out as it's a while since we attended the open day last year.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Don't go anywhere near Vicarage Road on the morning of the test.

Best thing to do is to approach Kings Heath from the South via the Alcester Road but turn left down Tenbury Road, then take the 3rd right down Colmore Road and park near to Colmore Junior School and walk. If you keep walking down Colmore Road and across Howard Road this brings you straight to KECH Schools.

If you have to approach from the North, avoid the Alcester Road and Kings Health. In this situation the best thing to do would be to approach from Selly Park, Dogpole Lane and Dad's Lane and park before you get to Avenue Road on one of ther side roads and walk.
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Thank you KenR... was thinking to avoid Vicarage Rd but being unfamiliar with the area wasn't sure exactly where I should be going. Your info is a huge help.

Clarendon
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

"If you have to approach from the North...park before you get to Avenue Road "

There's also a car park in the park off Shutlock Lane - left off Dads Lane then right almost straight away, up quite a long drive.

Mike
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Thanks Mike.. will definitely have to do a "recce" visit to check out all these roads and distance etc to walk to the school. Your help is much appreciated.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Here's hoping for fine weather - it looks as though we could all be in for quite a long walk...

Mike
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Mike, have checked Met. Office site and Fri's forecast is heavy rain... doesn't look too promising!

Are we the only Birmingham parentswith kids sitting the tests this year? Seems so, doesn't it?
Clarendon
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now