Us Election

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

clarendon

Us Election

Post by clarendon »

Just had this txt from a friend...Rosa Parks sat so Martin Luther could walk...Martin walked so Barack Obama could run....Obama is runnin so our children CAN FLY!

Emotional words and emotional times.

Clarendon
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Clarendon

I saw most of the process last night. I watched him give his speech at 5 am, have to say it made me cry.

Very sad that the grandmother that brought him up from the age of 10 died the day before the election.:cry:

Patricia
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

it was such a brilliant speech and that quote is great.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

I really hope he lives up to his promise. It is so hard not to think back to Tony Blair's landslide here in 1997 and how people's expectations were so high, and know how that all turned to dust. It will be hard for Obama not to be an improvement on George Dubya, though! :D
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

What political party here will be the first to increase the number of ethnic minorities in their cabinet to secure votes - synical I know! :roll:

Anyway, I'm thrilled. Can you imagine some of the black people in America who were beaten and imprisoned for just looking at a white person in the wrong way less than 50 years ago. They must have been so emotional today. :)
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

I was trying to understand the reasoning behind the US electoral college system and read that one of the reasons it was introduced, rather than a one person one vote system, was because otherwise some southern states who had large non white populations (who didn’t get a vote) would in their view be penalised.

The Electoral College meant that the vote went to white people but the number of Electoral College votes was based on the population of a state. The population was calculated as 1 for a white person and three-fifths of a person for non-white…..

Today is a real sense of such history finally drawing to a close.
sunnymummy

U s election

Post by sunnymummy »

Thanks for posting the quote Clarendon. It has been an amazing day.
SunlampVexesEel

Re: Us Election

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

clarendon wrote:Just had this txt from a friend...Rosa Parks sat so Martin Luther could walk...Martin walked so Barack Obama could run....Obama is runnin so our children CAN FLY!

Emotional words and emotional times.

Clarendon
What I find truely great is that the US election seems to have engaged large sections of the population, especially the young to get out and vote. That's pretty neat.

Gordon Brown's attempt to jump on the band wagon was less impressive... after all... i don't remember the UK public voting for him.

Oops... got political for a second

:wink:

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Gordon Brown wants the voting age to be 16 because, in general, the younger you are the more left you are and it will help his party stay in. Actually, now I think about it (dangerous, I know!), maybe the youth would be more inclined to vote Green which would be good as us adults are to selfish and worried to vote for them. Lol
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now