camden girls sixth form admissions 2008

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sunnymummy

Post by sunnymummy »

Hello forum. It's a long shot but does anyone out there have an idea how the new admissions procedure will work? Does the new distance criteria mean that all "leftover" places are available to any applicant with 5 Bs strictly on a distance basis? Or will it be A*, then A, then B on distance? Or is there something in the personal statement, school testimony thing?
This site seems such a collective mine of information, I wonder if any of you know?
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Sorry don't know, but isn't there an agreed and up to date admissions policy you can read which would answer these questions ---------- if not, there should be!!
sunnymummy

Post by sunnymummy »

Thank you, perplexed. It's so nice to have someone reply when you're feeling puzzled and alone. Actually, I have found the outlines of the new admissions code but felt it contained certain elements of ambiguity, hence the post here. Maybe the mists only clear as it is put into practice.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would ask at the Open evening - it needs to be clear :D
sunnymummy

Post by sunnymummy »

Yes, Guest 55, I think you may be right. Thank you.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Is it a selective school? If so, I would think they are likely to allocate places on the basis of achievement at GCSE. If not, I don't think they would be allowed to do this, and anyone who fulfils the basic entry requirements, whatever they are, would then be offered a place in accordance with distance of home from the school. This really should be clear from their published admission arrangements for sixth form applicants, though, and if it isn't they need to clarify them.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

KES parent,

Some popular Bucks Uppers [non-selective] do 'select' for the sixth form for external applicants and take the top, say, 25 points scores on the 8 best GCSEs.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Guest55 wrote:KES parent,

Some popular Bucks Uppers [non-selective] do 'select' for the sixth form for external applicants and take the top, say, 25 points scores on the 8 best GCSEs.
Sorry, I thought Camden was in London. Mea culpa.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Camden is in London - I was just making the point that Sixth form entry seems to be a whole different ball-game and schools do 'fight' to attract good external candidates.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Sunnymummy, sorry but I'm not clear if you have a copy of the Admissions Policy for the 6th form to Camden School or not. If you have, what is it that is not clear about it?

As someone else has said, 6th form admissions are usually done according to different rules from at 11 so you need to make sure you have the description of the 6th from process. Normally 6th form applications have to be in fairly early in the Autumn Term of the previous year and are done with a conditional offer based on GCSE results. They are, in general, not prescriptive about where you live ......... but Camden may be different from round here.

I have a good friend who used to teach there many years ago - it was a brilliant school there, and I remember going to some fabulous concerts and plays put on by the pupils there. It was great.