Warwicks: New admissions policy??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jacquie

Warwicks: New admissions policy??

Post by jacquie »

A parent has just emailed me to say there is an article in last week's Rugby Observer Newspaper with regard to the admissions policy for East Warks 11 plus changing next year, with the catchment area shrinking; this means there is a possibility that children who live in Daventry and outlying areas may no longer qualify to enter the exam. Anyone know about this?
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

I saw the article too...apparently Northants are complaining about losing so many bright pupils (a large percentage of those attending Rugby's grammar schools are from Northants).

Warwickshire EA isn't too keen on changing admission policy though and it was said that secondary schools in Rugby are worried that even more bright pupils in the area will be creamed off....
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

I just spok e to Admissions...you are right. Court have found on Northants behalf that the bright pupils are being syphoned off as you say....I was told this will affect children taking the exam 2009 if it stands- ie they will no longer be eligible if they live outside the Rugby catchment, that is in Northants anyway.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Perhaps Leicestershire will follow suit? And West Mids (Coventry). Could end up with a very small catchment...

I feel myself coming towards a U-turn on this issue. Perhaps it would be a good thing for standards, generally, to do away with grammars?? Have I had a knock on the head??

I understand that both Guilsborough and William Parker are excellent schools. Presumably they could be even better if they had their fair share of 'the cream'?

I'm sure I'll come to my senses soon...
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

The trouble with W. Parker school is that it is far too big. We used to have 3 secondary schools in Daventry ( and a grammar school, so, actually 4 in the 60's to early 70's!) In the Thatcher years we went down to 2 secondary schools. Now , still with only 2 secondary schools,numbers have swelled again, and through this ridiculously short sighted policy, both W.P and Danetre are like vast carbuncles. Certainly when my children attended...W.P was a great school, compact and the staff were able to cope with the numbers. But that was 20 years ago!
magwich2

warwicks new admissions policy

Post by magwich2 »

Not sure I get this one ?
Why exactly should my bright daughters be used to make inferior schools better?
If you have a grammar school system people like me do not need anyone elses children to enable us to have the schooling we want for our children.
BUT people who want a comprehensive system need our bright children to be compelled to mix with thicker children in order to have what they want.
I do not quite see why we should sacrifice our intelligent children in order to accede to political correctness!!!
If you run a comprehensive school and cannot attract enough middle class parents with bright children you need to get over yourself and resign! You should not be trying to get me to send my child to a school where they will be surrounded by riff raff with scummy parents.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Magwich2 - please remember to be polite - you do not have to express your views with so much ill-informed venom.
teacher

Post by teacher »

What a delightful platform this is. I'm amazed I ever managed to graduate having been educated at William Parker (yes, the very same). Watch your very ill-judged comments; I take great offence at your even hinting that my parents were scummy.
medwaymum

Re: warwicks new admissions policy

Post by medwaymum »

magwich2 wrote: BUT people who want a comprehensive system need our bright children to be compelled to mix with thicker children in order to have what they want.
Magwich2 - I wonder if you would have this view if you had a bright child and a child who was not so academic. Its easy to say what you said if you have children who are high achievers, but a bit narrow minded, I feel.
Plenty of children who struggle with school are very bright children who just haven't the ability to study as others do. How many times do we see success stories in the news - self made millionaires who came out of the local comp with nothing? :wink:
fm

Post by fm »

Well, I'd like to confess. I am one of those scummy parents who sent my riff-raff son to a not particularly brilliant comprehensive where he did mix with some children from unfortunate backgrounds and difficult home lives. In fact, he had his nose broken by one on year 8.
He has just celebrated his 18th in our house with lots of his riff-raff mates who did make it quite difficult to sleep (they played their guitars and had a sing song) but left my house immaculate and with a polite thank you for having us in the morning (as opposed to my grammar school daughter's 18th where money and whisky were stolen).
I wouldn't dispute you get a better education at most grammar schools but the fact that children attain grammar school means they are cleverer but not necessarily nicer or better brought up. Ditto the parents.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now