Music Test

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
raceytracey

Music Test

Post by raceytracey »

I have just filled in the SIF forms for Rickmansworth and Clement Danes and have ticked the box for entrance under music ability for each school.

My question is will my DD have to sit just one test for both schools. I notice when I filled in the online CTF form I was not asked this question.

Wont she be "double booked" for the test.

Many thanks in advance
watmum

Post by watmum »

I am 99% sure that it will only be one test Raceytracey, regardless of which school/s she has applied for.
My child did not apply under the music ctriteria however, and I am sure that someone who has "been there and done it" so to speak, will be along soon to help with your query
newgirl

Post by newgirl »

Yes, as I understand it, it takes place at various schools but you only sit it once even if you're applying to more than one of the consortium. Then presumably if more than one school want the child in question it is down to the Herts Sorting bods to decide in which order the schools were ranked.
resmum

music test

Post by resmum »

You only sit one music aptitude test for Herts consortium which involves listening to a tape and answering 30 questions. Where you sit it is irrelevant, but generally it is at one of the schools you have applied to.

Candidates who gain a good score in the initial test are then invited to audition on their musical instrument or sing.

Post by 40 »

I was just wondering if many children have been tutored for the music test. I showed dd letter today to see if she had coverd any of the test content in music at school and she said no "but xy&z said thier tutors said..." now feel i may have done her an injustice in not preparing her. It would intresting to know if many parents have prepared or if it is just a few and they all seem to be her friends!

Also the letter says this year there are 60 questions and test is about 1 hour
Sressed but survivor

Post by Sressed but survivor »

No I didn't tutor my son for the music aptitude test but I wish I had. He was at that time already at Grade 5 on three instruments and is (ok, I am biased!) very musical, winning awards at music competitions etc - and he did not pass the Music aptitude test! (he went on the waiting list - luckily we had a place on the academic test within 2 weeks). I thought they would play something on the piano like a normal aural exam so thought it would be easy for him - it proved to be a "tinny" recording which he wan't prepared for at all. Another child who passed has a music teacher for a mummy and knew what format it would take and therefore I think at least was a bit more prepared.

So if you can - give your child every chance and prepare ( though I don't know how you would prepare?)! Good luck!
resmum

music test

Post by resmum »

I don't think children are tutored for the aural test. I think the test is trying to find children with a good ear for music and that's more nature than nurture. I did have a look around the internet to see if I could find a practice test but without much success.

I don't really think you can prepare for this part of the test (which your daughter will be happy to hear!)

resmum

Post by 40 »

OMG! grade 5! well i think its safe to say I wont worry then. My beautiful baby is only just grade 2! at least there is no pressure on her and she really wants to do it as all her friends are. Good luck to all whos dc are taking it though
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

If the test really is for aptitude, then does it matter what grade the child has reached, or - indeed - whether they have even had any formal music lessons? Surely the point is to identify those who have a good ear for music so that this potential can be developed at the school. Or have I misunderstood? :? (Just interested as DS might have to sit a similar test in a few years' time!)
Marylou
tense

Post by tense »

Marylou wrote:If the test really is for aptitude, then does it matter what grade the child has reached, or - indeed - whether they have even had any formal music lessons? Surely the point is to identify those who have a good ear for music so that this potential can be developed at the school. Or have I misunderstood? :? (Just interested as DS might have to sit a similar test in a few years' time!)
I think you're right. Nearly everyone I know sat the Herts music test (I mean their children did!). Most, like me / my DD, saw it as an opportunity for a bit of a practice of exam conditions before the main event, ie, the academic exam. No-one I know got recalled for an audition. I heard of two who had - one was a grade 6 something (can't remember on what) the other didn't play an instument & planned to sing if recalled (she wasn't).

Good luck to everyone whose DC is taking the exam on Tuesday though!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now